Heaters

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Heaters
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 08:24 am:

Hi all

I know this has been done to death in a number of threads etc so I hope you don't mind a couple of questions. This is for a 1923 roadster in the uk, with side screens (home made!). I am not expecting or looking loads of heat but just looking at a way to create a little warmth to come through on chillier days, or I just continue to wrap up!.

I have seen a number of manifold heaters which seem to have their pros and cons.

When my dad was out in the states recently he came across a T roadster with what looked like a simple tube in the floor board, he said about 3 1/2 inches across located just above the exhaust, he said it looked as simple as heat from exhaust would just gravitate up the tube into the cabin, maybe there was some kind funnel below, he could not see, unfortunately he could not locate the owner and had to leave before he could ask. Has anyone seen anything like this, seems quite simple, wonder if it works?

His thought was maybe to have a very simple L piece of tubing the went around, or next to the exhaust so you get some heat and moved by general air flow?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 09:07 am:

Just to add to this as have been thinks (as you d0) maybe you could take a 3 1/2 inch 90 degree or so tube.

Adjust so the exhaust runs through this, ie a hole in the end, then the natural heat/airflow in my straightforward mind would naturally funnel into the tube, not be able to go straight n and follow the pipe to the top of the 90 degree tube into the cabin.

Just to clarity I am not moving the exhaust, cutting or changing it, mearly wrapping it with a larger tube which heated air could travel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 09:28 am:

There are pictures and links to more pictures in this thread. Hope it helps.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/42502.html?1198039954

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:19 am:

There are numerous set ups for the Ford Model A with manifold heaters and floor registers which may have parts that could be altered for the Model T though the stock manifolds are shaped differently. On moderate temperature days I just remove the top floor board on the 1919 Touring and get a lot of warm or hot air in the front seat depending on whether one is the driver or passenger! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:45 am:

Thanks all, the remove floorboard so I guess a similar approach, may I will just make up a vent for the top board!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:59 am:

Or maybe a small paraffin heater

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

One thing I did was cut a pieced of flat rubber to act as a seal around the emergency brake handle to keep cold air from coming in. I didn't seal the pedal arms, because I found that once the car warms up that warm air comes in from the pedal slots.

Then, I found a neat little heater duct and grate on Ebay, so I installed it in my flooboard and routed a flex duct up to the engine compartment just behind the carb hot air pipe. It doesn't get screaming hot, but it provides a welcome draft of warm air for the passenger's feet. I tried building a shroud around the exhaust manifold to capture more heat, but didn't like the look. :-)

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 02:02 am:

Great pics that's the sort of thing I am thinking about 😀

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:50 am:

RHD cars with gaps in the floor boards are warm in winter and so hot it burns in summer...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By samuel pine on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:53 am:

55yrs ago when my bones were good, I had, been in
the house forever a sterno heater just a square
box with louvers. I found the thing last winter and
I tell ya this thing is simple and does the job. Plus
I prop the top floor board with a paint stick.
Even being a drafty touring car it works 11 months
a year cause we don't have global warming in new
England..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 08:39 am:

I have a Kunkle in my touring and a similar made unit in my coupe. Both will melt plastic and run you out of there. The good thing about this type of heater is that it is save, no way you will get exhaust gas in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

In most states of Australia heaters aren't required. We commonly refer to driving out T as sitting in a fan forced oven!
Alan in Western Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/141358.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 05:07 pm:

I have occasionally used a golf cart heater--fired with a small propane tank at the base. Its a catalytic heater---works OK and won`t kill you in an enclosed car--Paul

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration