OT - photo storage what do you use?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - photo storage what do you use?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Blanchard on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Need to clean up my computer and my wife's photos (lots of duplicates between them once they are together) which 'cloud' photo storage do you use? I just saw google photo and it looks promising...
I just want to make sure they save in full resolution and not get diluted to 'fit in'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:55 am:

I burn them to a DVD disc. Also make two copies and stuff one in the barn. Back-up, back-up !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:56 am:

I don't use cloud storage, thumb drives these days are more than large enough to store loads of photos and movies. I use the thumb drive to back up all my other important files as well.

Regarding duplicates, I have a program that looks for duplicates, then shows them side-by-side so that you can decide whether one of them is a true duplicate and can be deleted to save space. It is called "Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder", search for it on the web. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

It may be a bit odd but I use Facebook, I set it to only myself can see and they are stored forever. If I need a photo I just do a quick search and I can save it to my hard drive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 12:24 pm:

I agree with Mark Thumb drives are cheap I have one with all my photos as does my mother and my daughter and one in the safe deposit box. Nobody can hack those and hold my stuff for ransom! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

I use "Dropbox"

Annual fee, but it's ready anywhere, any time on any device.

I am able to send a link to specific file or pic anytime.

This is my public link:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pscr41rev3kywz3/AAA0nYPN04KV3MnxG2jaAAOQa?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Cloud storage has its uses, especially if you're on the move and need to access files. It's also great after a house fire. The following choices won't survive a house fire, but it you live in an igloo they're perfect!

Thumb drives are easily stored and are available in large storage sizes making them handy to keep in a drawer or pocket as I did for years at work. The only drawback to them is: "where did I put that darn thing?"

Same thing goes for memory cards but the really small ones are hard to keep track of (just like kids!)

A DVD will give you 4.5 gigs single layer or 8.7 gigs dual layer of storage, and are easy to store.

A CD give you about 650 megs of storage.

If you don't need portability then physical storage drives work fine. I have seven or eight 3-terabyte drives within arms reach and keep adding as needed. A terabyte drive is overkill for photo storage unless you're a professional or hobbyist photographer. I have somewhat over 25,000 photos stored and instantly available on a teeny-tiny 1 terabyte harddrive mounted in my computer tower. It' routinely is backed up onto other drives along with my genealogy files.

Regards,
Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

I use a thumb drive from Picture Keeper a HP product, it has the software built in so when you plug it in it will download the pictures, it will also remember so you don't load everything everytime.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:13 pm:

Robert, I have to ditto what Rick Goelz just said. Use a thumb drive, flash drive, whatever you want to call 'em. Come in various capacities and they're cheap. Take no space to keep in your computer drawer. I've got about 4 of 'em, for different "occasions", makes it easy to keep things organized too. Cars on one, misc. on another, trips on another, etc. Put 'em in your pocket when you go visit the relatives and you can dazzle them with your stuff. (Or bore them! ha ha)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:20 pm:

I have several of these for work and play:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

You can buy a fireproof file box/strong box and keep the DVDs, CDs, thumb drives, small back up drives, etc. in it.

Sentry brand is not very expensive new and used ones show up all the time on my local Craigslist.

If you believe the box below does not provide enough fire security, there are a lot of small used Sentry combination safes at reasonable prices available on Craigslist, at least in my area.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:24 pm:

I am probably one of the few folks left who uses Windows Explorer to manage my files and store everything exactly where I know they are and back up occasionally to a thumb drive. On my C drive I have a main folder called Michael, under it two sub folders called Personal and Business and 200-300 sub folders under them that store certain files in named places I can easily find. I drag and drop new files into the folders and just back up the main folder Michael which includes every other sub folder and file in my computer. After all these years with business and personal files I have over 48k files and jpegs. On the thumb drives I back up on I use a free encryption program which makes everything on the thumb drives impossible to open without a pass word. This way financial and personal stuff remains private.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration