Headlight reflectors

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Headlight reflectors
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James L. Bodkin - Jim on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 01:52 pm:

I recently contacted Bill at Uvira coating to ask if he could 'plate' directly over chrome. He said yes. I read in another thread that the repro chrome reflectors may not be shaped properly for proper focus. Does anyone know for sure? I purchased a pair from Lang's last summer.
If they are correct, I think this would be a reasonable solution to our lighting problem.
Here is Bill's response:

"We can coat right over chrome if it is in good shape. We do it all of the tme. $ 75 foe the pair including shipping.

New shipping address.

Postal service: UVIRA, PO Box 1137, Merlin, OR 97532

UPS OR FedEx ; UVIRA, 357 Shan Creek Rd.,Grants Pass, OR, 97527

Bill"

I thought others might be interested.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:17 pm:

Jim,
I don't know how far off they are, but I do know they aren't "on." Ask Langs, they should be able to tell you.
Merlin & Grants Pass are close to each other; one advantage of living in Merlin, is no one calls it "Grass Pants." :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 02:34 pm:

When pressing steel you'll always have some springback in the part after the tooling is bottomed out. Therefore if you want a particular shape you must overcompensate somewhat - and that is kind of an art, hard to calculate (though computer calculations has became really good in recent years)

When someone decides to reproduce something where the original tooling is long lost, they often take shortcuts like copying the tooling from parts. As you understand, without overcompensating a repro headlight reflector wouldn't have the correct depth or shape. Maybe that's the problem with current repros, I don't know.

Another example where the parts haven't got the correct crowning and where I suppose the tooling wasn't correctly overcompensated is Howell's '26/'27 patch panels. Nothing fits right :-(

Jj

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James L. Bodkin - Jim on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

Roger,
Thanks for your expertise. With the time and expense involved in tooling, you would think these factors would be taken into consideration! After all, it's the final product we are looking for. This reminds me of the Hubbell Telescope!!!

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James L. Bodkin - Jim on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Ashley,
Would you like to chime in?

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 03:23 pm:

Roger: Another factor is the steel. It has to be the same each time, Good luck with that. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 03:38 pm:

Dan: That's also important, though I think the reflectors would be good enough between different steel batches as long as the tooling has been overcompensated and tested OK.

But Ford made the reflectors in both brass and steel - maybe they were supplied from different suppliers with different sets of tooling, since brass and steel has different springback, or maybe the difference was so small that it was deemed good enough?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

I have had dozens of reflectors over the years. Not one was steel. Perhaps the exclusive use of brass is another Canadian thing.

The brass reflectors hold up really well. They should make excellent candidates for re surfacing, but the cheap repros make the price comparison somewhat problematic.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

Well most are brass.

But.....there are steel Ford script reflectors anyway.

Carry a magnet to swaps, the brass ones are best to have re-silvered.

Rust is because its steel, and the black thing is a magnet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

I would find a set of good brass ones for re-plating and sell the chrome ones to someone that just wants something shinny behind the glass. :-) The brass ones that are good but need re-plating should be cheep enough that the cost would not be that high for them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration