OT mostly, nrrd a joke dutch oven recipe

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT mostly, nrrd a joke dutch oven recipe
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

I need a joke recipe for a boyscout cooking demo. It has to be something we can show off.

The last one was called a "heart healthy meal". We had a Dutch oven in the back, and we made it look like we were cooking, turned the lid and pot when we did the others. When all done and we opened it for the judges it was full of Cheerios. It was good for a lot of laughs. Now we want to top it.

To keep it Model T related, if the weather is good I'm going to drive the T to the event and use my new manifold cooker. I have not decided what to cook, maybe something as simple as hot dogs and baked beans.

Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:49 pm:

I sometimes hate writing on the "smartphone" I missed the typo in the subject line.

nrrd = need

Thanks again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

I would go with the hot dogs and sing the hot dog song we sang in scouts when I was a kid.
"I love my weenie man,
He owns a weenie stand,
he sells most anything from hot dogs on down,
some day I'll be his wife,
his little weenie wife,
Hot dog! I love my weenie man!"

That, or keep the hood closed until the judges come along and a'la Jimmy stewart wonderful life grasp the hood, close your eyes and go "I wish I had a million dollars.....(open the hood) hot dog!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Jason,

Why not use your Dutch Oven again but this time pull out an ice cream sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 06:54 pm:

You could call it "Cool things Cooking over a Hot Oven"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 07:30 pm:

Hmm, I flashed on campfire cooking and McManus' description (paraphrased)
All the camp cooking books describe "cooking over a glowing bed of embers." But, as any camper knows, there are only two kinds of campfires; The Roaring Inferno, and the Dead Out!
(From his book, "Camping; a Fine & Pleasant Misery")
You could put some rocks in the oven and when you open it say, "Rocks!!! These were supposed to be potatoes!" You could even wrap them in aluminum foil, I suppose!
Now if you want to do the Manifold cooker, you could announce that you are cooking steaks, and when you pull the hot dogs out, announce, "Yes, Steaks, Tube Steaks!"
Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

Tent stakes/steaks?

Hey David D! Great minds stink alike?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

You could do what we did for our church high school youth group one time.

We were on an overnight camp out at a lake. For dinner we told them we would have hamburgers and corned beef hash. Unbenounced to them we had carefully switched half the hash can labels with Alpo dog food labels. We opened two or three cans of hash and emptied them into the pot next came the Alpo marked cans and into the pot they went. About that time some kid noticed...and soon all the kids were yelling in hysterics. We, the adult leaders feigned mock horror, but to placate the kids we all grabbed spoons and sampled the contents of each can (phony dog food then hash) The kid groand in agony as we adults assured them that the contents of either can tasted about the same so it should be ok.

Of course we let them in on our joke and some of the boys in the group even mustered the courage to do a taste test, whereupon they all started barking.

An event that was remembered for many years to follow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

I've done ice cream in a Dutch oven. It turned a few heads.

I used to do all the cooking for the adults when we were on scout camp outs.

Pineapple upside down cakes is fun to do.

I think my all-time favorite was Beef Wellington.

You could get some ideas for either Dutch ovens or Manifold cooker at the Byron's Dutch Oven website...

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:23 pm:

I like the ice cream idea. We could put a little dry ice in the Dutch oven so it would look like steam coming out.

Also would be good too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:29 pm:

I thought a "dutch oven" is when you pass a little gas in bed and pull the
covers over your sweetheart's head (?).

You know, that whole "sharing is caring" thing .... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:35 am:

Not sue why, but this thread reminds me of the ol' handful of popcorn in the pancake batter! That'll sure liven things up a bit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:08 am:

Wayne, I dunno, seems like there's a lot of folks here with a bent humor bone!
David D.
Popcorn; When my best high school friend got married, I put little jello molds wedged against the manifold of their get-away car with some oil, and popcorn. They got about two blocks when it started popping and Dwayne pulled over in a panic! I didn't know if Margie would ever forget me, but she'd pulled pranks on me during High School & then got me good at MY wedding (yeah, payback time!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 09:59 am:

It seems to me a manifold cooker needs road kill. My dog has a little stuffed weasel toy which would fit perfectly.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 11:01 am:

I use Dutch Ovens for real cooking all the time. Is it a lost art? I've got several different sizes for almost anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 11:25 am:

I really miss our dutch oven meals from Scout camp. I was fortunate that our adult leaders liked gourmet, so they always ate well, and handed down the recipes.

Must be why I made it all the way to Eagle. ;)

I love the ice cream idea. Or you could just crack it open and do the "S'all right" "S'ok" bit from the old cartoons.

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 11:28 am:

One of my campfire specials that needs no cleaning up and could be done in the T cooker:

It is an Italian recipe that has pork sausages ( I have used brats too ) and they are cooked 80% over a grill the day before and are finished off in a pot, ( foil works fine ) with a sauce that is also made the day before with chopped onions, tomato sauce, green and red bell peppers, paprika, olive oil, salt and pepper. The sausages are cooked in the sauce and it is eaten with bread and when in Italy, abundant red wine. Great leftovers too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:29 pm:

The joke aspect of the manifold cooker has intrigued me. Here is a photo of the dog toy sold at True Value last November for $2 (I got several of them as gifts... they were popular with the dogs).

These came with a water bottle inside to make them crunchy and noisy. I just pulled the bottle out and stuck in a piece of cardboard... instant road kill. If I had a manifold cooker I would take two little pieces of 1/8" plywood or 1/16" plexiglass and cut them to fit. Then join them with a hinge and fit a spring to make it open flat. I would insert it into the weasel and fold it into the cooker... so that the road kill will jump out when you open the cooker.

Enough said!

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration