Poli-form speedster body

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Poli-form speedster body
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 09:47 pm:

Anyone have any information about the poli form bodies such as mounting instructions or data sheets. Anyone actually installed a body on a chassis? Any information or photos would be appreciated.

thnx

just askin"

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:04 pm:

They had a plywood floor glassed in following the contours of the body, and bolted onto the frame. You would put the body on the frame to determine correct height, mark it and cut the floor to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 10:08 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:54 pm:

Mine doesn't have a floor. It looks to me like I need to build a plywood floor with maybe a 2x6 along the outside edge of the sides to bolt the bottom flange of the body to. It also looks like it needs some skirting running down the sides, below the body, to make it look lower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:29 am:

The front of these bodies cover the frame rails from the firewall to the front cross member. The inside horizontal surface of the front "extensions" set the height of the body on the frame. There is no need to glass in an entire floor. Make up stringers from 3/4 plywood that extend from the inner edge of the frame out to the inside contour of the body, and glass these inside the body using cloth top and bottom, extending from the firewall to just in front of the cutouts for the rear axle tubes. Bolt these stringers to the top frame rail and you're good to go. Add a contoured plywood hoop behind the seat opening in the same manner and add cross members to build a seat box and that's all you need.
The "skirts" are actually built into the body, and the body sits down over the frame about 6" to form the "skirt".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 12:22 am:

Does anyone have photos of a completed poly form body speedster ? I would love to see some side shots,

just askin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 12:26 am:

Howard, I'm guessing you snagged the body on EBay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 07:44 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 07:45 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 07:51 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

The black unfinished one in Ed's post is mine. It is shown with a 3" drop. It still sets up awful high, in my opinion. That is why I was suggesting a skirt. Dan is right. It already has one. It looks like the black one in Mike's post sets a lot lower. Perhaps it has been channeled?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 10:23 pm:

so does someone make this body for sale? Thanks, Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 10:58 pm:

Dan you should tell them the story behind the original bodies and how they came about. Mike Husted

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:43 pm:

Mike- the entire story will take a page by itself, but I'll see what I can whip up. Get that thing on the road!!! The snow should be melting up there by now!! Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

I did snag the one off of ebay. To be delivered to me at Bakersfield.

My intention is to create a very nice lowered speedster similar to the low and lean red one #130 pictured above.

I need to finish my 1924 sprint car 1st but that car is now running, soon to be driving.

I have some extra stuff laying around such as Budd 30x3-1/2 wire wheels, Whippet radiator and some other as yet unmentionables,

who owns #130?

thnx for the responses

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Check the NWVS website- the owner was pretty active with them in the past- Steve Tomaso might know who owns it. Last I saw it, it had a pretty nicely set up 16 valve Roof on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:00 am:

Following up on Dan's suggestion re NWVS - http://www.nwvs.org/CarPhotos/003B/003B.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:25 am:

I for got that I had made a pattern for a one piece windshield and had it cast out of alum. I do not know if I will be coming to Bakersfield this year and should give it to Dan in any case. It is hell to get old and what comes with it. I have pictures of it that I can email if any interest. My system does not let me post pictures. mikes48ford@q.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Husted on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:00 am:

polished windshieldpolished windshield

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:00 am:

130 info here....

http://www.nwvs.org/CarPhotos/003B/003B.shtml

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:27 am:

Unfortunately, Helen passed away a month ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:42 am:

Here's one listed for sale a week or so ago in California
http://car.mitula.us/ford-speedster-body

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:48 am:

Verne,
#232 is Owned by Scott Glennie, it has a Z'd Rear cross member, and a suicide front axle. The engine, and body are pushed back on the frame about 6"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:55 am:

Someplace, I think I have a couple of pages of "instructions" for mounting but I don't remember where I put them. If I remember right, there wasn't much on it. I have tried to amass photos of these cars. Tom Rootlieb had some posted about a year ago on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:26 pm:

The body listed on Craigslist is the same one I just purchased.

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Nelson on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

car # 3/130 was owned by The late Don Shreve. Not the late Helen Reichlin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:25 pm:

Those are really neat bodies. I remember YEARS ago when Poli-Form was making these bodies and had a booth at the Long Beach Model T Club Swap Meet.
They were better known for making hot rod Ford A and 1932 roadster bodies and fenders. Good luck with your project.Glad to see that this body will become a car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

I understood that Helen & Art bought Shreve's car.

Coming to Bakersfield, Steve ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:07 pm:

Art & Helen did buy the car from Don Shreve and owned it for a few years. Subsequently sold to someone in I believe southern CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:09 pm:

Anyone know who owns the red #130 now? I hate to bother Art during his time of mourning.

just askin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:48 pm:

Hello all I am a long time reader of posts but have never posted anything before. I found this thread a couple of days ago and thought that I would post some old photos and information that I have of what we call the Chambers Special. Built by Willie Chambers in the early 1970's. He built several body shells off of his mold. I am told that Poli-form based their design off of this car?

Cheers
Jonathan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 01:40 pm:

photo1photo 2photo 3photo 4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 01:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Owens on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 02:23 pm:

So is there a mold to make new bodys off of? I know some great glass guys. Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 02:30 pm:

I really like the styling of these, my only complaint is that the top of the cowl looks too wide and flat, which I guess is OK because it makes it easy to identify a fiberglass one compared to a real Morton & Brett body shown below.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Jurgens on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 04:53 pm:

Scott- I am told that the mold does still exist. PM me for details. Here is the car today with me driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Rootlieb on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 05:47 pm:

My understanding is that the molds were damaged or destroyed by a fire at Dick Williams shop (Poliform) years ago. Would be nice if that is not the case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 05:19 pm:

The Polyform mold is not the mold that the original bodies were made from. The original bodies that Willie made were hand laid up bodies where as the Polyform bodies are made using a chopper gun. The hand laid up bodies are much lighter than the Polyform bodies. The body that Mike Husted has is an original Willie Chambers body. The mold for the Polyform bodies was made off of an original Willie Chambers body by Jim Connors who was a partner in the old Ford Barn T parts business in St Helena, Ca. Willie created the plug for the original mold by scaling the patent drawings he obtained from the US Patent Office, so it quite possible these do not exactly match an original body as noted above. Jim purchased an original Chambers body from me, probably back in the mid to late'70s and had the mold made from that body and sold then thru the Ford Barn business Polyform acquired that mold and AFAIK, used that mold to produce the majority of the MB bodies you see today. Willie was and continues to be one of my real life heroes and is one of the reasons I chose a career as a mechanical engineer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 07:13 pm:

Lots of wonderful pictures and great information and inspiration here. Thank you all for your postings

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 17, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

So I have had several guys ask about making a mold from my newly acquired body. It can be splashed and a male part/mold can be produced.

I am not going to be doing this car right away as I'm still finishing my 1928 sprint car. So if there is enough interest I guess we can pursue making bodies.

Let me know.

brasscarguy@comcast.net

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration