Babbitt classes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Babbitt classes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Husa on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:27 pm:

Any information on a university class on T & A engine bearing replacement?
I kind of remember a class offered in the USA.
Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Monday, April 04, 2016 - 11:45 pm:

Perhaps McPherson College? Our local MTFCA Chapter, the Flatland T's of Kansas, had a seminar a couple months back. Poured and line bored a T block.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 11:22 am:

On Sat. June 4, at the Homecoming in Richmond, Joe Bell will be pouring bearings and fitting cranks. Come and learn from one of the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:58 pm:

I hope to come down Friday eve to set up so I can get started early and with a little help maybe we can do three blocks?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 09:34 pm:

McPherson College auto. restoration class does a babbitt bearing course ...i think they also do this as a seminar for non students ...call the school and inquire ...always an optimist ...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:51 am:

I started into Babbitt pouring information last year after watching two main bearing jobs with the craftsman using a worn out KR Wilson setup designed for NEW cranks.

Working with a fraction of a thousand in a straight line requires some careful use of good tools and some safety knowledge of pouring Babbitt.

I bought the Gene French set up for Ts and found it very well designed for my use. Mike Benders web site helps in seeing what he is using.

Watching 800 degree Babbitt blowing up sticking to the shop ceiling makes you do some careful prep work and wear safety equipment.

To have enough equipment and consumables to do main bearings will take about 1500.00. If you get into rods it would take more green---just my opinion!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration