Fuel cap

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Fuel cap
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

I find the fuel cap, (which is suspiciously similar to a 55 gal oil drum cap), to leak if it is not too tight to be removed by hand.
Surely I think someone must have come up with an adaptor, a seal of some kind, a modification, to make this cap both sealed and easy to remove.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:23 pm:

There is a gasket for the gas cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

In the aviation world, I use Fuel Lube, which is a good pliable fuel resistant thread sealer. Aircraft Spruce carries it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:31 pm:

Gas cap related. How many times have you forgot to replace the cap and lost it. You remember it quickly when the odor of gas displaces fresh air and your wife elbows you and reminds you about the cap. My son solved this for me. He took a fish hook swivel and some fishing line and attached it to the cap with a small hole in the cross piece of the cap. The swivel allows you to turn the cap. Never lost another cap!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 06:51 pm:

I made the same thing using a piece of brass brazing rod, brass sash chain and brass cotter pin after I lost my new cap and had to replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:42 am:

I have never lost a fuel cap. But, as I age, I expect to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 10:52 am:

Has anyone ever done a study on gas caps? I suspect if anyone has, probably Gail Rodda has. There were a lot of changes, and if anyone has one with a Ford script, it is bogus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:44 am:

I must have lost the seal. DUUH.
I am sure I can find one in my hangar that fits. If anything I know I have an O'ring that will work.
Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 05:48 pm:

Good idea. Nice rainy day project. I did the same for my oil filler cap. Yes, I know. It's not as H made it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Mendez on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:36 am:

I bought a new one from Snyders and it came with a gasket.I managed to get the old one off in one piece using an impact gun and a slotted 1 1/4" socket.Cut the slot with my angle grinder.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:45 am:

A small chain can be soldered to the inside of a brass oil cap, and wrapped around the front cover bolt. Can't be seen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Not all Ford script caps are "bogus". I have a brass rad cap off a 1949 Anglia (British Ford)with Ford script. Fits my 27 T gas tank perfectly. Even looks like the original except that it is brass. Just needs a small vent hole drilled in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

You can also glue a small magnet like one from a HF telescoping stick and it'll keep your cap from hitting the road

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration