Hassler spring verification

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Hassler spring verification
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Before I button things up, can someone please tell me if the Hasslers are installed correctly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:21 pm:

Doesn't appear to be - from the side shot - the axle appears to be leaning forward - wrong way - it needs to be tilted towards the rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:27 pm:

As far as I can tell the axle is perfectly straight up and down when referencing the radiator. It just looks odd to me but that is my question.

I put the one marked "R" on the drivers side and "L" on the passenger side. Is that correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Hi Mark,

Did you swap the spring perches; move the left one to the right and the right one to the left side? Just asking. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:35 pm:

Mark, with pancake Hasslers, you do not move the left springer hanger to the right and vica versa like you do with beehive Hasslers. The left perch stays on the left, but is rotated 189 degrees and the right perch stays on the right and is rotated 180 degrees. Hassler made this change to eliminate confusion when the pancakes were introduced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:36 pm:

No just rotated 180 deg so the boss is now in the front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/63162.html?1219269708

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/466696.html?1406914660

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

Ok... well looking at the photos in the links above it appears that the oil flipper is in the front (which makes sense), so apparently they are on the correct side. It just looks like the bottom of the axle should be tipped towards the front more.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:43 pm:

On automobile parts, it is from inside the vehicle. R is the passenger side and L is the driver side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 12:55 pm:

Sorry, I have the R on the passenger side and L on the drivers side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:01 pm:

Here is a photo on the open express, the perches are reversed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:20 pm:

Guys,the "R" stands for Robert Hassler.There is no "L " side. You may have some odd ball thing there.They are very clearly backwards.They also have the wrong bolts in them. Pancake Hasslers didn't have grease cups on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:22 pm:

The one shown is not a Pancake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:41 pm:

Best photo I can take looking down the length of the axle. Definitely has L and R on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:48 pm:

Mark wrote:
"Ok... well looking at the photos in the links above it appears that the oil flipper is in the front (which makes sense)"

NO, it does not make sense as the oiler is in the center of the perch. The orientation of the perch is by the position of the boss on the perch, and that boss Must always face towards the rear of the vehicle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 01:53 pm:

I meant the oiler that is on the Hassler assembly, not the one on the perch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 02:12 pm:

They are obviously swapped L - R.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 08:34 pm:

The install looks good to me, lot will change when the tires are on, and frame down, compressing the front end. Should be OK. That left perch is correct, just spun outward as it should be.

The Pancake only requires the perch to be swiveled around, never swap L to R perches. Just spin them, don't remove.

Then fit the spring

Then fit the bracket, they are L and R, the oiler hole front, and the Hassler Tag reads right side from the front.

Mount the bracket bolt.

Finally assemble the leaf spring to the bracket with shackles. Done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 08:51 pm:

Thanks Mr. Treace. I looked at it for a while and realized there was no other way it could have been assembled. Rotate the perches 180, boss to the front. My problem was how it looked with no weight on the front end. Looks good now that it's complete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Well, I have learned something new from this thread. I thought that all Hasslers were the same and I know that the Pancake style is different. Thank you. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

Mark

You are welcome sir! By the way, my name is Dan. My dad was Mr. Treace. Ha :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration