Keyword search issues

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Keyword search issues
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 02:28 pm:

Is this function working? I can never seem to get the search to work. All it does is idle and then kick off. Right now I am looking for the thread with pictures of the correct hinges for the gas tank cover panel under the front seat on the early cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 02:36 pm:

I think many times the search function is overwhelmed by having to sort through the huge volume of stuff from many years and just gives up. Limiting the time period covered sometimes helps. Often a Google search works when the forum search won't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 02:38 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/572326.html?14426820

Found by doing the Google search below:

site:mtfca.com gas tank hinge*

Here are the results:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:mtfca.com+gas+tank+hin ge

Same search in Google images:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:mtfca.com+gas+tank+hinge&client=safari&rls= en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia2vuEkvjLAhWmmIMKHcz6BQkQ_AUICCgC&biw=1 280&bih=664

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen banks on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:03 pm:

I get this everytime I try to search:

http://www.mtfca.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-search.cgi from 74.203.71.250
/cgi-bin/discus/search.cgi 500 - internal error
Our 500 message
Chris Brancaccio - 2013
www.mtfca.com
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_5) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/47.0.2526.106 Safari/537.36

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 03:58 pm:

Bottom line - Google works much better than the forum search utility, just put mtfca in your Google search string with your other keywords. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 04:39 pm:

If you limit your search to a single year at a time it usually works. Searching everything at once usually results in that message which I think is due to the shear amount of results. It's much easier to just use Google.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:37 pm:

Erik, I've never used the Asterisk* on a Google search.

What does that add to the procedure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 05:58 pm:

The asterisk is a wildcard.

You can use an asterisk (*) in the place of a character in your search term to indicate that any number of characters can be substituted in place of the asterisk.

For example, if you type depreciat* as your search term, your results will include depreciate, depreciating, depreciation, etc.

In this case, I wanted posts that included either the word "hinge" OR "hinges" so I put an asterisk at the end of the word "hinge."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

Allan that is what I get also. Thanks for the lead to the thread I as looking for Erik. I will try using google in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:08 pm:

Allan that is what I get also. Thanks for the lead to the thread I was looking for Erik. I will try using google in the future.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration