That Brand New Battery Might Not Be So New.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: That Brand New Battery Might Not Be So New.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 06:23 pm:

Many discussions over the years about buying the newest/ most recently manufactured battery you can get as a battery that sits on the shelf at the retailers without a periodic charge can be a problem for the eventual buyer.
This morning I stopped at my local TSC for a new 6v as I am taking a Model A out of mothballs this next week. I was in a hurry but as usual glanced at the sticker on the side of the batteries on the rack and saw March 2016 so I thought " good to go". Came home and decided to put the battery on a charger for the day so I can install tomorrow. 10% charge shows up on the charger needle and I am perplexed. Four hours later only a 25% charge and the cables on the charger are hot to the touch. Happen to look on the other side of the battery and see another sticker showing April 2015! Upon looking at both sides I see that the first sticker I saw at the store was the "shipping date" and the second one was the " manufacture" date. First time I have seen Two stickers on these batteries. I had obviously bought a "new, battery that had been sitting on a shelf somewhere for 12 months. Took it back a few minutes ago and found a 1 month old replacement on the shelf. My mistake for not taking my time this morning but just a warning to those not in the know. Look at the fine print on the battery stickers to see if the date is manufacture date or shipping date. Off my soap box. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 06:26 pm:

Thanks. Ran into that problem at TSC when I got the 12 volt long narrow battery for my 1947 pontiac. It was old on the shelf. I didn't know it till way later about the dates. I know and look now. But like you, did not know about the 2 separate stickers. Thanks for the heads up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Mfg. dates used to be stamped on top of one of the battery posts. I haven't seen that in a long time. Probably 'cause it was too easy to tell if a battery was already "old" on the shelf.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 07:54 pm:

As much trouble as it is changing a battery in a model A,you did the right thing!! Bud still in the snow in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, April 05, 2016 - 08:15 pm:

I bought a new 6v battery last November for my model A and it wouldn't take a charge it was so old (11 months). The parts house ordered a new 8v and it came in with a manufacturer date of just weeks earlier. It works perfect and 8v gives a quicker start. Well and not sitting around for a year probably helps!!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration