Headlight circular tension spring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Headlight circular tension spring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 12:54 am:

I purchased a pair of headlight reflector tension springs (T-6586-X) from Mac's on ebay for my 1926 coupe, which fit just behind the reflector and pushes out on it so pressure is applied where the lens pushes against the rim.

The tension springs have a hook at each end that is supposed to hook into eachother, but when the tension ring is in place inside the bucket, the hooks are 1/2" too long to hook into eachother. Has anyone else had this problem? If so, is it a design flaw, or are my headlight buckets smaller than normal? I can easily shorten the hook locations using a pair of needle nose pliers, but I just wanted to ask first. Thank you. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 02:18 am:

Jim, I bought a pair of those springs about twenty years ago, and they weren't even close. I eventually found some good original ones. Maybe they have improved them by now, but it doesn't sound like it. And no, your buckets aren't smaller, just another bad repro part. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 04:40 am:

I used a couple pair of pliers to bend the angle parts of the spring wedges a bit sharper. which shortened the circumference enough to fit and work fine. Of course, I also made my own out of coat hangers once. Coat hanger steel is not quite springy enough, but it worked okay also. (Coat hanger also makes good welding rod.)

How're doing Jim P!? Good to see you back here more lately.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Yes Wayne. I did that too about 46 years ago, using the remnants of the rusted originals as a pattern, when they weren't available and you are right. Coat hanger wire is just not springy enough to provide the correct tension, but I used them anyway for 46 years and they still rattled until purchasing these to replace them.

Today, I re-bent the hooks, installed the tension rings and squeezed the hook ends together around eachother to lock the hooks together and the rings are just right now and provide the tension I need to the reflectors. For the first time in 46 years, they don't rattle.

I haven't been on here as much as I used to as I have spent the last several months performing maintenance work to my 5 rental properties during the day and doing my taxes at night. It is no easy task posting thousands of deductible maintenance receipts in an effort to get something back. Hopefully, it will be worth it. Now that I'm retired, it seems I have less time to do what I most enjoy. LOL!

It's good to be able to get on here more often, but, with no spare time to speak of, it is an effort and I am only able to do so when taking a break from doing my taxes.

Take care and thanks for asking.

Jim Patrick

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration