Square head bolts on main caps what kind of wrench

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Square head bolts on main caps what kind of wrench
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:13 pm:

I am trying to check oil clearances on the main bearings. What kind of wrench do you use for this square headed bolt? Mine measures 9/16 inch across the flats. Thanks for the help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:26 pm:

Eight point socket 9/16 as I recall about 4.00 at NAPA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:33 pm:

A 12-point socket (not a hexagonal one) works well if you have the right size. Try 11/16AF or 17mm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 03:37 pm:

Michael ; I use this home made socket.
Toon
2439S

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Use a square head socket. They exist. I have a set, quite old, that would qualify as a family heirloom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 05:51 pm:

As Gary said they're out there I saw one or two at Bakersfield last year. I inherited a square Plomb socket from my dad... well used but still functions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

9/16 square or 8 point socket type works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

Thanks for all the replies! I took one of the bolts and went to NAPA, bought 3 different 12 point sockets that seemed to fit, came home and it works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Doubt that NAPA would carry square sockets as there's no call for them on auto's today but they are made and they are available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

Proto & Sears carry them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Never needed any more than a open ended spanner on the main bolts to maintain alignment. The dot on top gives the position for the bolt to stay for the cotter pin, they shouldn't be tightened by the bolt head, only the nut.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

I use an old square head bolt wrench

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:51 pm:

It took one day for a Portland shipment to the coast for there eight point Napa socket. I use one with my impact and one on my torque wrench. Doing Babbitt you might be removing and resetting main caps several times so I like it easy. Using a larger 12 point will generally round off the corners on a square cap bolt after some time! Been there done that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:41 am:

Take notice of the little teat on the head of the bolt as this will allow you to align so that the cotter pin will be easily installed. KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:54 am:

I use a main bolt wrench:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 07:39 pm:

Maybe this would help.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration