Rear Radius Rod

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Rear Radius Rod
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith G Golnik on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

My rear radius rods are missing the lock washers and the lock nuts backed off. Can I simply remove the radius arms and put lock washers on? I watched the clubs video on chassis alignment but that was done with the body off. Can alignment be checked with the body on?Radius arm nuts

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 08:40 pm:

Count the number of turns the front nuts are from the end of the rod. Adjust to the same position when installing. When you put things back together use a square between the driveshaft tube and the axle tube. You won't be able to get the square into the corner because of the pumpkin, but you can use a large framing square and put one side against the driveshaft then measure the exact distance at two points along the axle tube. When it is square both measurements will be equal. Then put the square to the other side and make the same measurements.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith G Golnik on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:49 pm:

Thanks Norm. I will do this tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 11:56 pm:

Keith,
Providing your frame is straight and springs have not shifted, I use construction string pulled tight across the outside face on the left rear and left front tire and tie it in position. Position the string just above each wheel hub. Adjust the steering wheel so that each side of the front tire is touching the string. If the rear end is aligned correctly, the string will touch in both places also. When finished making any adjustments, repeat this method on the other side.
Not having the rear end in alignment will cause the rear tires to wear out much sooner and can effect how you model T handles.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration