Building a Model T Engine Stand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Building a Model T Engine Stand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By lyndel butler on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 09:20 pm:

I'm building a Model T Engine stand - need advice. When looking at photos I notice some people are only using two bolts in the water inlet. This seems weak to me. Others are picking up two additional bolts where the block and oil pan meet. Any suggestions or advice appreciated.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Wednesday, April 06, 2016 - 10:33 pm:

I'm curious also, it's a simple basic design but there's someone out there that has built a better mouse trap (engine stand). Will keep an eye on this posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:07 am:

Lyndel, and John : Here is an example of an engine stand.
Toon
0135S

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:05 am:

Lyndel,
Mine is like Anthonie's, but with a difference. The same two bolts are used at the side water outlet, and these are done up tight. Where Anthonie has two bolts on the pan rail I have two 5/16" pegs only, no nuts on them. This makes it very easy to mount the motor on the stand.

When building the motor up again after an overhaul, the stand is rotated so that the pegs are at the top. It is a simple task to just hang the block on the pegs and then put in the side bolts. This also allows fitting the pan later in the build, while the motor is still upside down, without having to undo any bolts to fit it. The pan goes on over the pegs and can be aligned without any problems.

Those last two bolts go in when the motor is fully built up.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:44 am:

There are adaptors for regular engine stands available from the vendors, but I opted for an even cheaper solution, using head bolts with pieces of pipe as distances for the water inlet fastening holes, then bent pieces of threaded rod for the fastening to the oil pan bolt holes. No problems with this method on two engines.

stand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:23 am:

Here's mine. I made it to slide so the pivot can be between #3 and #4 for the engine/transmission or between #2 and #3 for just the engine. It has two pegs at the bottom, not bolts, so you can remove or install the pan with the engine on the stand.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/607693.html?1453665347

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:38 pm:

I bought the engine adapter from one of the T suppliers. Its pretty simple and anyone with a welder and some scrap metal could make a adapter but i dont have those skills. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:37 pm:

here is a picture of mine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:34 am:

I put this worm drive on mine to make it easier to rotate when the transmission is hanging on the end.
Worm drive

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:37 am:

Ken
I recognize the worm box; Princess Auto (our equivalent of Harbour Freight)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:43 am:

You're right Les, it's a PA box but I bought it at the Red Deer swap meet a few years ago, new, about 1/3 the price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

All great ideas but specially liked KEN from Alberta. I was thinking more on the floor design w/casters. I'm going to make up a couple/few in the very near future.Thank you for all for your help and please keep the ideas coming !!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:21 pm:

Les's looks sturdy and well made, so does Ken from Alberta, please PM me guys with some measurements, NICE STUFF guys........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:06 am:

Les Schubert, can you post measurements on your mounting plate? I need to build one for my stand. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 10:40 am:

I had used an OTC "Revolver" engine stand on a job, working on a Cat 3406 engine, and liked the idea so I decided to add a gear drive to my engine stand.
https://www.otctools.com/products/6000-lb-revolver-diesel-engine-stand

NAPA also sell a lighter weight version: http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NLE7915070

Another nice thing about the worm drive is that it stays at whatever position it's at w/out having to put a locking pin in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:49 pm:

This works good for engine storage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:50 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 04:50 pm:

A few years back there was a unique 2 or 3 way gimballed model T engine stand for sale on the SW Michigan Craig's List. Should have bought it. Anyone remember it?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration