OT, have to learn to not try to be helpful in public.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT, have to learn to not try to be helpful in public.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:30 am:

Tonight we pulled into Raley's parking lot to get water from their dispensing machine. A car was parked in the perfect spot with its lights on, so I waited a bit for them to pull out--no movement, so I parked in the next open spot. Got my bottle and notice there was someone in the passenger seat with a handheld device, and the motor not running. Filled the bottle and brought it back to my car, the lights were getting dimmer, so I then knocked on the window and said "your lights are on." She rolled down the back window a little bit, probably a late teen, early 20s girl, "I know, I have the key on!" "I said, well you should turn off the headlights" and she looked over the dash, somewhat confused. About that time another girl came up with a bag of groceries, "What are you doing??" "I said, your lights are on!"
"That's none of your business, there's someone in the car!" and she brushed past me, got in, and fortunately for her it started on the first try.
They had no idea that leaving the lights on might kill their battery, and I was just "an old lecherous guy messin with them." Fortunately my wife was waiting in my car, so that probably helped me walk away from it all.
Gotta learn that most of the young folks today only care about what they are doing and aren't interested in your help or advise!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:42 am:

Uh, .... yeah. I hear you. I'm a real big fan of the "Let sh!t roll downhill" theory. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:32 am:

I followed a guy home to tell him his stop lights were out. He said thanks he already knew and was making an appointment with a mechanic to have a look. Hard to believe the man didn't want to get involved with changing 2 tail light globes. Or is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 02:02 am:

Seven decades plus have taught me not to be surprised when people don't know the simplest things.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:38 am:

The ability to function in a face to face manner has been lost by the 20 year olds. Raised on video games and computer screens they cannot cope with a simple act of courtesy. Try ordering something in a fast food restaurant, who knows if they heard you or if your simplest order will really be heard or understood....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:00 am:

If you say it in a less aggressive way they might understand. And if they don't, Jokes on them if their battery is flat. If it didn't start you could tell them
"Gee I see you need a jump start but it's 'None of my business'"
And leave slowly. Possibly waving a set of jumper leads at them and see if they change their tune.

In fact, Be helpful just to punish them for being so insular. Offer help when they need it. They'll find it insulting because they think you're insinuating that they are not perfect & then they'll cry about it on tumblr and the whinging rainbpws brigade will hold marches against helpfulness and people will laugh at them.
Laugh at them first because you were doing it before it was cool

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:44 am:

I needed to have one of my tenants move his car for the roofing contractor. He came out and punched the button on his key fob and nothing happened so he said he would have to get AAA to come out and unlock his car. The contractor asked for his keys so he could try the tenant obliged and the contractor stuck the key in the door and unlocked it. I'll never forget the look on the kids face (maybe 22) as he was asking the contractor "How did you do that?" .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:07 am:

These are the folks that think they understand what is going on in the world today!

I am glad I'm 71 and won't be here much longer, but feel sorry for my grandchildren.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:08 am:

And these idiots vote and reproduce. Be afraid of the future. Be VERY afraid!
It is said that people get the kind of government they deserve. Well, I got the kind of government OTHER people voted for and although they did get what they deserve, it splashed over onto me and I got what I DIDN'T deserve. So, when idiots like those young bimbos in the car vote according to the way the mass media brainwash them to vote and thereby cancel out your vote, remember that there are now more of THEM than there are of US.
'Sorry for the near-political rant, but the door was somewhat opened in the original post.
Marshall

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:14 am:

Ditto to what you said Marshall!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:27 am:

Nothing more than the symptom of the automated and over-specialized world folks live in, that's all. Autos and other machines have largely gotten so dependable (and complex), people just assume they will always work. Systems are harder to understand and many times, simple tasks like changing bulbs is a major undertaking. A good friend of mine told me his headlight bulb went out and he had to take his car to the garage to get it replaced. He has good mechanical skills, so I chided him on being a wimp and having the garage do it. Come to find out, you had to take the tire off and the entire fender liner out just to get at the fixture. Don't blame him for not bothering.

It also seems like throughout history the current generation disparages the one following it as unworthy of their legacy. Some how, some way things always turn out OK. Like I told the kids I taught for many years: "Some day you'll wake up and realize you've turned into your parents". Its amazing over the years how many of my graduates have seen me later and admitted I was correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:29 am:

I'll ditto it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:31 am:

a few years ago I pulled up behind a stoped driver school car at a stoplight I noticed on the trunk lid was a briefcase so I got out and walked up to driverside windo and knocked the kid driving looked at me and than the instructor after a few words with instructor the kid looked strait ahead and would not look my way so I got back in my car and followed after about a mile or so the briefcase fell off on road after waiting to make sure they did not turn around I picked up case it had the instructors papers un cashed checks etc. I burned it in my burn pile

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:23 am:

Their need to know isn't what ours was. It's that simple. In a lot of ways their world will be a better one than ours was. I think it's just our lack of youth catching up with us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:37 am:

God must love clueless people.........he made so many of them! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:39 am:

I'm sue that if you turn the clock back 100 years or 75 years or 50 years or even 25 years that you would hear the older generation say " This world is going to hell in a hand basket! Why these children now a days have it easy. I feel sorry for the next generation".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:47 am:

It's a sign of the times. Adults attempting to be helpful equates to parents ... and who need them?

I have seen it several times recently, where my 24 y/o son will get a call from one of these "children" who have been in a fender bender or their car won't go any more, before they call a parent or the authorities.

My son IS a responsible guy and good mechanic who knows what to do, be it calling the police or attempting a road repair. It frustrated him to see the stupidity as well but he just shrugs it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:00 am:

Last Monday our family had dinner at a restaurant. Afterward, our daughter in law started to cross the driveway in front, but she stopped because the others weren't following her. She started waving her arms like she was directing traffic to go on. The cars kept stopping, trying to be polite. She yelled at them,"Move your car, you are blocking up traffic"! I had never before witnessed her acting like that! She didn't drink anything but water! She should have just turned around and gotten out of the driveway!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:43 am:

About a decade ago, I was traveling down a road that saw little use even though it was only about one quarter mile off of busy I-10. Because of the road condition, I was going slow when I passed a car pulled over to the side and noticed a driver slumped over the steering wheel. Because it was winter, I could see the engine was running due to the exhaust. I used my cell phone to call 911. When the local police checked it, they found a troubled young woman who had taken an overdose of pills, but was still alive. They credited me with probably saving her life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:28 pm:

Paul - You were a lot nicer than I would have been.
I would have called the guy and invited him to pick up his briefcase at my home at a specific time and not answered the door.

By the way -- Mega ditto's (I heard that someplace!) to what Marshall said.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

Two things that really bother me when driving. People that drive after dark with no lights on and those with brake lights that are burnt out.

I always try to let them know they have a brake light out and most are appreciative.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen - Abilene TX on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:56 pm:

Kevin: Re: Changing a bulb--"They" do not make cars to work on, just to get them out of the dealers show room. If engineers and designers had to work on them for six months to a year they would be a lot easier to work on. JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:21 pm:

I once informed a lady in a parking lot that she had a nearly flat tire and since I didn't have to be anywhere for a while, I could change it for her.

She looked at me like I was a serial killer, and drove off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:09 pm:

My old friend Bart couldn't get laid in a morgue. Women just smelled his desperation and he
developed a harsh attitude toward them in general, even though he was constantly trying to make
time with any young thing that might pause long enough for him to strike up a conversation. So,
it was this weird love/hate thing that just seethed in him.

So, one day he shows up for work and tells this story of meeting this woman at his favorite upscale
watering hole.

He said "You seem really happy"
She replied "I am. I just got a new car !"
He said "Oh yeah, what kind did you get ?"
She replied "A blue one !"

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

"I'm sure that if you turn the clock back 100 years or 75 years or 50 years or even 25 years that you would hear the older generation say " This world is going to hell in a hand basket! Why these children now a days have it easy. I feel sorry for the next generation"."

Actually, Dennis S, you can go a lot further back than that! That notion predates written language and can be found in some of the earliest pre-Greek mythology known. The ancient Greeks rewrote it as "each successive generation is less heroic than the preceding generation" (They of course said it in ancient Greek).

And, just to be clear, I corrected a typo in the quote above.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

I have tried the same thing,show a person their tire is flat or whatever. Get the mean as h--- look and they go off into the sunset. I don't let it change my attitude because if I did,I would be stooping to their level.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:47 pm:

One time I was driving down the road and I noticed a very large bubble on the inside tire sidewall of a pickup in front of me. At the next light I pulled up alongside and told him. He was grateful and I felt I had helped someone avoid what could have been a much bigger problem

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:01 pm:

On the flip side of what Henry said, I once had a lady pull up next to me while I was towing an enclosed trailer with a quite expensive car inside. She shouted, "You have smoke coming from your left rear trailer wheel."

Sure enough, I got off at the next off ramp and found a disintegrated wheel bearing. Thanks to that person, I was able to get off the freeway before things got a whole lot worse.

Don't quit trying to help. I may need you again some time in the future.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

"A blue one !"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:26 am:

"Every generation says that the next one is worse"
That means society is getting closer to the bottom with each generation.
We will soon be there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:32 am:

I took the 96 cadi to be inspected last week so i could get a tag. Tag light was out. The entire tag bracket,backup light combo had to be pulled. Weren't to hard to do,but sheesh, it could'a been built alot easier.
So on a 20 year old car,they had already started building stuff harder to work on.

If society is trying to head for the bottom,it has been traveling downward for 2000+ years. So is there a bottom? Every time you think you have saw it all on tv, there is something else worse. Like folks that have no idea which toilet to go to? That is kinda a no brainer to most folks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson---SW Wisconsin on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:55 am:

One night I was at our local gas station and I saw this couple who had the hood up and the car wouldn't start. I walked over and asked them if I could help them and I explained that I fixed cars for a living and I was told to buzz off. So I left. They went inside and asked the clerk to call someone for help. Well you guessed it, she called me. SO when I showed up with my Tow Truck and got out, the look on their faces was priceless!! Needless to say, they paid for a jump start that not more than 20 minutes earlier, would have been free.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Paul,

That's a good one. Hopefully they learned something.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:44 am:

People are assholes. I was at Walmart yesterday, a woman in a big fancy Lincoln loaded her groceries took the cart and pushed it in a vacant parking spot, blocking anyone from using it and 4 spot from the grocery cart return spot. I said 'why don't u put it in where empty carts go'. She glared at me and said something under her breath, got in the car and left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:12 pm:

Was the Lincoln lady using food stamps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

My wife has had two Diesel powered VW Beetles in the last 10 years and has had over a dozen well meaning men come up to her at gas stations to tell her not to put diesel into the Bug. I credit this to poor advertising on VW's part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 04:18 pm:

Paul N. I was driving a tow truck late one winter nite and I saw guy stalled right on the r.r. tracks with the hood up and steem and smoke all over I pulled up behind him and told him to get in car and I pushed it off tracks he said he was on his way to get antifreez and drove it until it quit but instead of thanking me he got on his knees with a flashlite checking his bumper for scratches! I just drove away I dident wait for him to ask me for my insurance info.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 04:45 pm:

Hmm, Paul, you reminded me of something that happened about 30 years ago. I was driving down hwy99 south of Chico (4 lane divided road) when I passed a 20's something sedan on the side of the road with some Highway Patrol cars around and an older-looking well-dressed group sitting on the running boards and the hood flopped open. Well, by the time this all registered in my mind, I had to go a bit to turn around and come back to offer assistance (at the time I was restoring cars for a living). So I pulled off past the group, as safety requires and started walking back to offer assistance. A Highway patrol officer walked towards me and demanded to know why I stopped. I told him I worked on old cars and thought I might be able to help. "We don't need your help, get back in your vehicle and leave"
HOOOKAY, I did just that, but wishing I had gotten his badge number! He made it sound like they were doing a criminal investigation, but I never saw anything in the papers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:01 pm:

I will always stop and offer assistance when ever possible no matter how many times I am belittled or yelled at. It is the right thing to do and the Christian thing to do and the way I was taught and brought up by my parents to help one another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Casey wilmunder on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 12:00 am:

David sounds like something officer Sanchez would say can't wait for him to retire.I was at raleys later in night as while and noticed alot of snobby woman while waiting for a sandwhich for dinner.I really hate going around town anymore dealing with the fine people of our town.going be interesting when Walmart is done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 03:46 am:

You know I had 1 of those brain farts when I woke up this morning,early as you can tell from the post time.
I just wonder if some of these rude people maby have drugs or stolen property in the car and they act this way to drive off "nosy" people that might see or smell something going on?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration