Buffulo Nickel Freezer Plugs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Buffulo Nickel Freezer Plugs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:57 am:

I came across these images while exploring the web and thought I would share them. Having been a member of MTFCA for 16 years, of course I have heard of this practice numerous times, but these are the first pictures I have ever seen of it. Has anyone ever come across this when rebuilding an original engine of a T they just bought? Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:11 am:

My 1927 engine had them, one was head side out, the other was Buffalo out.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:42 am:

Terry, good to see your posts. How did your test flight (s) work out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:58 am:

Jim, I installed my own. I bought a mess of them at Hershey.

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG87.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:00 am:

I saw my dad put one in a 1922 Model T

The freeze plug blew out as we entered New Bedford MA on rt 140 in the 50's. A guy donated a part of his broom handle to plug the hole so we could continue.
Later I watched my Dad remove the manifolds, pull the wooden stick out and plug the hole with a nickel.

Is that where plug nickel came from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Must've been an engine rebuilt by Steve Jelf! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:52 am:

For those who don't have a 'period correct' nickel in their pocket a Jefferson nickel will work just fine.
I used one after I installed my rebuilt engine in my 21 Touring.

I had just gotten it running and noticed that the rear freeze plug was leaking.

It was a brass one the machine shop used. I had told them to bore the engine .020 over and install the freeze plugs.

I removed it and used a nickel I had in my pocket which happened to be a modern Jefferson.
It worked fine. And the next time I'll use my own freeze plugs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:58 am:

They're core plugs or Welch plugs. I've seen enough freeze cracked blocks to know that's not why they're there.

The only Model T that came with freeze plugs was the Doctor's Coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:11 am:

I guess the nickel I used was a Welch head nickel!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:07 am:

One of my engines had them when I bought it. Also one of them came out on a tour. That engine is now rebuilt and has brass plugs in it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Kirtley on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

I had a 1920 block with two Heads dan one Tail. They are forever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Here are my three on the 27 Sport Touring, two heads and one tail ...

z2

z3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Wolf on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Donnie;
That middle pic looks like an old woman I used to know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

Richard, It took a minute for me to realize what you were seeing... :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:19 pm:

Richard,It took me a minute also until I realized I was looking at a belly button.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:49 am:

Here's to 45 cal's and belly buttons!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:59 am:

All 3 plugs are rust stained at the edges, are nickels more prone to leaking than the freeze plugs specifically made for this purpose? respectfully, jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:59 am:

Gruesome!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Enough about old ladies belly buttons. You guys are grossing me out. LOL! Thread drift is one thing but don't drive away everyone before the thread has run its' course. :-)

James. I noticed that too. Freezer plugs designed for this application are thinner and seem more likely to seat themselves deep in the groove of the opening and conform to the irregularities of the ID of the opening when the convex shape is flattened out, while nickels are a lot thicker, increasing the likelihood that the smooth edge of the nickel might not attain a waterproof seal, especially if the inside of the hole is pitted from rust and the edge of the nickel bridges over the pit instead of sealing it. It is an interesting concept, unique to the Model T, but I think I will stick to the freezer plugs designed specifically for the purpose

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:08 am:

James, The three plugs do not leak. Not even a seep from day one when they were installed about three years ago. I think the staining may be from several years of condensation in a unheated garage and the water from the condensation collecting on the plugs. I have used nickels for years and have never had one to leak yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:20 am:

Donnie/Jim: Thanks. jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:28 am:

Regarding Buffalo nickels. Be very careful not to put the nickel in with the Buffalo upside down, he will try to turn over to be right side up, causing the Model T to be upside down!

I made the mistake and ended up rolling my 27 T. That is my story and I'm sticking with it. The adjuster from Haggerty Insurance agreed with me!

That T is in the pictures of T's on another current post.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

I doubt anyone will ever top that Jon!!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:31 am:

As Tom said, they are Welch plugs. The reason that they got the name "freeze" plugs(not freezer plugs) as I have read years ago, was that sometimes(not all that often I think) when an engine block would freeze, one, or more, of the plugs would pop out. Actually, just a coincidence, as that was not what they were designed for, but the name stuck. Kind of like "Crescent" wrench and "Vise Grips". JMHO. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration