1926-27 Steering Column & Lower Bracket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1926-27 Steering Column & Lower Bracket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:41 am:

Is there a difference in the 26-27 steering column between a Fordor, TT, and the rest of the body styles? Does the throttle rod on the column continue down to the frame bracket? Is there a hole in the frame bracket for the throttle rod? Something doesn't seem to be right as the spark and throttle rods are binding up on a 1926 T touring I'm looking at. It looks like it may have a 26-7 Fordor frame bracket. It is running a Vaporizer.
Thanks!!!
Verne Shirk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 02:04 am:

The 26/27 frame is drilled for it's own lower steering bracket. I think the rods all go through the same though. The later bracket is also a bit smaller. I'm building a speedster on a late frame and that's what I found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 11:40 am:

Thanks Hal. I will try an find the smaller 26-7 lower bracket and see if it fits better. Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:30 pm:

The bracket on my 26 is bigger than my 27 roadster but i cant swear any of the parts on my 26 really came on the car form the factory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:42 pm:

Verne,

The posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/72277.html?1226597205 discusses a similar issue for a 1926 roadster (which should be the same as your 1926 touring) where the steering column was not fitting properly. There were several causes including a warped firewall.

The 1918-1927 TT steering bracket part number 3539C has the factory number TT932 cast into them as shown below in Eric Hylenís photo from his posting at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/18479.html

The 1926-27 touring, roadster, coupe, and tudor is part number 3539D and it has the factory number T932C cast into it as shown below (photo from e-bay):

And the 1926-27 Fordor and the car chassis used the part number 3539E that Iím 90% sure has the factory number T933 cast into. That bracket looks like the one below:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:44 pm:

The 1911-1925 bracket was part number 3539B and had the factory number T932B cast into it (raised or lowered depending on the year etc.) That is shown below:

Note all those factory numbers are without the bushing(s) installed. The ones listed in many of the parts books are for the part with the bushing installed.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

The bolt holes in the 26-7 open cars for sure and I think coupe and Tudor are located differently than in the earlier cars. The frame is also heavier and slightly different dimensions

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:06 am:

Verne, the TT has a different bracket all of it's own. There are some variations of them also. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Thanks to all for helping me zero in on the correct bracket. I'll keep you posted on what I find by using the correct bracket.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration