Tow Vehicle For Model T Owners Who Want To Take It With Them

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Tow Vehicle For Model T Owners Who Want To Take It With Them
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:45 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:02 pm:

Jim, This tow vehicle would probably be easier to maneuver and cheaper to operate and think about all the attention you'd get, especially if you wore a black suit and tie while driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

Swap meet vehicle, anyone?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:38 pm:

At my age a horizontal limo is not what I care to get too close to...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:19 pm:

The springs would be way to soft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:39 pm:

Not my idea of a good time!! Not interested in that ride, not yet!! Hopefully i have a few model T and A builds left. TIM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

If that guy had a TT instead of a regular T they could just haul the box on the truck, thus saving the cost of the "tow" vehicle. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:52 pm:

I heard the story of a funeral where the hearse was pulling a boat trailer with a bass boat on it.
During the funeral one of the attendees was thinking the deceased must have been very attached to this bass boat and the boat was hauled to the funeral as a memory to this dedicated boater.
He asked the guy next to him if the deceased was a fisherman too.
He replied, No, not at all. This is my wife's funeral, after the burial me and the guys are going fishing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:05 pm:

FELLAS don't make your first ride in a Caddy be your LAST......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:13 pm:

Alan,
Four guys were golfing at Pebble Beach. As they walked from one green to the next tee they had to cross a road. Just as they got to the road a funeral procession went by. They waited and one of them took off his hat and a tear appeared on his cheek. Once the procession passed by they proceeded to the tee. One fellow said to the guy who had removed his hat how nice it was to see such respect. The fellow replied, "Well, it's the least I could do. After all, we'd have been married 48 years next week."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:30 pm:

Our local undertaker just bought one of these. I guess with all the *%%$^& bike traffic we get on M-66 he thought it would be a good investment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:08 pm:

Terry,

I appreciate the thought ...

Business has been dead lately ....

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

I do hope it picks up soon! However, better business than you?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:12 am:

This thread reminds me of a strange sight from back in the '60's that I've never forgotten. There was this big ol' black Cadillac hearse that some "hippy" dude was obviously living in, and it had a very neatly lettered sign hung on the back that said,...."It Takes a Heap a' Livin' to Make a Hearse a Home!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:29 am:

There was an undertaker here in the Seattle area that went to a Burger king drive in window in his Hearse with a customer in the back. Kinda creeped the window girl. The body was covered with a sheet but it was obvious what it was. Seems there is a "undertaker" rule about stopping somewhere with a body in the back, he made the news and not in a good way.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:40 am:

Guy gets in a Taxi, and they're on their way, about halfway to the destination, the passenger taps the guy on the shoulder to ask him to pull over at the store on the corner. The driver freaks, crosses over three lanes of traffic, and finally stops on the curb.
"OH! I didn't mean to startle you!" say the passenger.
"Oh, it's not your fault sir; this is my first day driving a Taxi."
"Oh, what did you do before?"
"I drove a hearse, so I'm not used to the passengers tapping me on the shoulder!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:33 am:

Early in his career Neil Young toured using old caddy hearses. Cheap transportation with tons of room.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Actually a hearse is a good tow vehicle.Most are not really geared high and have heavy suspension and no weight limit as far as dmv having reason to pull you for overweight.
When i was car shopping at age 17 I looked at a 73 Cadillac station wagon.Not a hearse,it had all the windows and tailgate just like a full size chevy wagon. Which is obviously what a conversion company did,put a caddy front end and trim on a chevy or pontiac body. Turns out it was a Flower car from a funeral home.
But I have read alot about mechanics and such using hearses because of the roll out "tray" is good for mounting tool boxes on and such.
I wouldn't think twice about driving 1, after I put some side windows in. Not because of the creepy look but because of the blind spots.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:38 pm:

If that hearse is on the same platform as the 1993-96 Cadillac Fleetwood (rear wheel drive) then it is probably a good tow vehicle. The 1994-96 Fleetwoods have the iron head version of the high performance 5.7L LT1 Corvette engine.

1991-96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagons were a popular tow vehicle with some of the guys in the Horseless Carriage Club in my area, especially the 1994, 1995 and 1996 models which have the iron head version of the high performance 5.7L LT1 Corvette engine. One friend told me that the low profile and handling of the wagon made it a superior tow vehicle to his SUV.

My parents have a 1996 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon so I can vouch that it has both comfort and a motor with lots of guts and is a great car for traveling, swap meets and hauling the occasional large item. I've used it only twice for trailer towing a Model T so my experience is limited in that department.

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on April 08, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:33 pm:

I bought my 14 motor from a man in Owensville Missouri back in 94 and he had a nice collection of cars there were 2 hearses. One was a nice unrestored car from the 20's, the other a 40's Cadillac with carved wood side inserts that looked like curtains. Mike, the owner, told me when he bought the car that one of the panels was missing and replaced with plywood inside was a keg and the spigot was outside through the plywood. He had another panel carved for that side and restored the car. I think the it even had a casket in it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration