Bushing for wood wheels Inner Tube Stem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Bushing for wood wheels Inner Tube Stem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 12:50 pm:

Anybody have a source for the metal bushing that goes thru the hole in the fello for the inner tube stem?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

Noah Stutzman used copper tubing to make the ones on my wheels. I'm assuming a flaring tool would get you started.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 01:54 pm:

Don't know if it's what you are looking for but I bought plastic bushings a couple of years ago for my 27 with wood wheels. I used rubber stem tubes so needed the bushings so the valve stems wouldn't move and get damaged. They are in the Mac's catalog, part #16-53884-1 (T-1500RB)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:38 pm:

Tom is right, but you need a rolling die instead of a flare tool to form the ends of the bushing. Stutzmann uses 5/8" copper tubing which has a 1/2" inner hole to fit the modern incorrectly sized valve stems that are now available. Rolling dies are part of double flaring kits, but it seems crazy to buy a whole double flaring kit if you are only going to use one tool in the box.

If you have a lathe, or know someone with a lathe, it is an easy procedure to make a rolling die to form the end of the tubing.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration