OT binder with specific use

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT binder with specific use
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 03:56 pm:

Hi guys does anyone have an idea what this might be used for
Thanks in advance Jim
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordtt/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:07 pm:

Pure guess: snow chains?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:23 pm:

It is a comealong.
It attaches to the rail on the sides of a truck bed and is used to tighten down loads with chains.
The end with the screw attaches to the rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 05:46 pm:

No Alan i don't think so! Trucks use ratchet straps,chain binders,and ratchet binders.Both type of binder have 5/16 or 3/8 grab hooks on each end and you can hook into a chain anywhere!Usually a trucker has a short piece of pipe to tighten either type of binder.A come along [Good ones are chain and hf are cable.It might be for chains as Henry has said but you will never see it holding a load on a truck! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:22 pm:

Fence stretcher?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 07:28 pm:

That looks a lot like the small chain "boomers" as they were called around here, although I haven't seen one quite like that. They were used to hook together two short chains inside of grain bed sides to keep them from spreading. Also used on wagon boxes. I'll bet Bud knows what I'm talking about.:-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 07:40 pm:

David,That could be what they were used for but if the DOT saw the thing pictured on a load,bring me a hacksaw!! I used sucker rod and 3/4 threaded stock to make 8'6" bolts and 1 1/4 pipe for spacers. Will spring ever come?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:45 pm:

Hey Bud - remember when you used to see a lot of chains and boomers on flat bed loads. Also, I'm sure you've seen a guy lose a cheater pipe. The pipe, usually at least three feet long, maybe four, fly over the trailer. It's a sight to see - and scary.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

Fred,When we closed the Chevy plant we loaded 450 semis for one trucking company alone! Over the years i have loaded and helped load a lot of trucks and i had a semi with a 4 axle lowboy myself.Always stand off to the side!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:05 am:

I'm with Alan on this one. Looks very similar to the different box tightners in our grain trucks. Without them the box would split and there's 200 bushells or more on the ground.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:06 am:

Darn, darn, darn ... meant to say Alan's close but I think they're box tightners. Must be bedtime for me.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 01:12 am:

Garnet, I think you need to read Alan's post again. It sounds to me like he is describing the tie downs on a flat bed, although I may well be wrong. What I was talking about is what you are talking about. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 01:16 am:

In reference to Alan's post, I think that the "screw" is actually a spring loaded "rivet", for lack of a better term, that keeps the boomer from falling off of the chain when not connected to the other chain. And then again, I may just be way off!:-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:37 pm:

Thanks for the input guys I think you are right about the spring
Loaded keeper on the one end but what stumps me is the
Ends are flat and wide and don't have enough space only
3eights of an inch to slide a chain link in it may have been made for something special we may never know Jim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration