TT Truck Driveshaft accessory

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: TT Truck Driveshaft accessory
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie Larsen on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:10 pm:

Does anyone know about this extra part on this driveshaft.tt truck drive shaft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:26 pm:

To my eye that has to be some type under or overdrive. Looks like shift linkage attaches on top.

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 09:33 pm:

Charlie, I think I found it.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/139700.html

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 10:12 pm:

A while back it seems I recall a thread where someone had a driveshaft unit very similar (maybe identical) to the one in your photo. The truck also had a TT Ruckstell and a 3 speed with reverse at the planetary output. I don't remember how many forward and reverse combinations it had, but it was more than I'd ever need. :-)

I always like to see this stuff. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:03 am:

Charlie, that's a "Rocky Mountain" three speed auxiliary transmission I believe. It has direct, over and under gearing. Very desirable. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:03 am:

I cannot tell from the photo for certain which one of several it may be. Over the years, I have had several of them, Moore, Rocky Mountain Six Speed, Universal (that was their name), and at least a dozen others I have heard of over the years. Most of them do have their name cast onto one side or the other. Often that name is buried under a bunch of caked on dirt and grease. These things do tend to leak a bit.
Some of them are two speed which usually includes direct, and either an under-drive or an over-drive. Under-drives are much more common, and not really needed in today's antiques on our modern roads. In the TT I had years ago, I had a Universal over-drive mounted in front of a Ruckstell truck rear end. That made a great combination.
Something interesting about the Universal two speed transmission is that both the over-drive and the under-drive used many of the same parts and castings (which were mostly bronze). On the side of the middle casting was a small embossing where they hand-stamped "overdrive" into it.
Some of the companies also made three speed progressive shift versions that offered both the under-drive and the over-drive with the direct in between them. The Rocky Mountain multiplied their three speeds times the Ford planetary two to become the "Six Speed".
Some of them look so much alike that I suspect several of them were made by the same few companies. I would love to see a really good article about all of them.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:04 am:

Wayne, you're right! I forgot that the Rocky Mountain was indeed advertised as a "six speed".
I have one that my late buddy and I rescued in a TT back in about '64 or '65. I was going to mount it on my TT along with the Chicago three speed and high speed rearend, but I don't know if I'll ever get it done. Sure would make a nice setup, it would be great for touring, or parades(or stump pulling!):-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:25 am:

This unit looks similar to the twin hi lo unit I have I think
That they are much better than other units that are mounted
Forward probably able to shift on the fly the hi- lo unit does
Jim. http://www.flickr.com/photos/fordtt/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:11 pm:

Yes, it is a Rocky Mountain...characterized by the long through-bolts. I'm still looking for the shifter with detents. There were several other similar driveline-mounted gear boxes, another one of which was the Universal which had a bronze case...but only two speed.
Rocky Mountain
Rocky Mountain
Universal
Universal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

I'm confused, this picture of a Moore #5 appears to have thru bolts as well. Did Moore and Rocky Mountain use the same cases?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:48 pm:

Howard,
Very interesting....in looking at the picture of the *Moore* and the photo of the Rocky Mountain...the is a distinct resemblance. Just as the Moore article you previously posted on 4/7, the Moore transmission I have is the same as your article. I don't know...perhaps Moore and Rocky merged.
Thanks for posting, John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:51 pm:

I had two of those Moore transmissions. One in a complete truck chassis I recently sold and another, which I still have, is attached to a rear end assembly. The Moore brochure lists two different transmissions, one overdrive and one underdrive. Actually they are the same transmission with the center section installed in different directions. Notice the construction. The area held together by the through bolts can be installed in either direction providing either an underdrive or an overdrive. I know this because the two units I had were assembled in opposite configurations. Quite ingenious!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 04:55 pm:

Howard,
Upon further investigation I found a connection between *Moore* and rocky Mountain and it is Tractor Train Co. It is the primary Company representing Moore in Indianapolis. Tractor Train is also the original Manufacturer of Rocky Mountain Brakes. Pictured is a TT Rocky Mountain component which lables Tractor Train Co. Los Angeles, CA. My Rocky Mountain transmission was also labled Los Angeles.
William,
Yes, the Moore transmission can be reversed. I have one running in the *overdrive* configuration in a speedster and works as a perfect combination with a Ruckstell.

Tractor train 2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration