1911 low pedal - starter bendix clearance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1911 low pedal - starter bendix clearance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nigel Hugo on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 04:48 am:

I transferred over all my pedals from my 1911 trans cover to a starter trans cover not knowing the low pedal on the starter covers was different. The later pedal has the extension below the shaft angled inwards whereas the 11 drops down vertically. Is it possible to use the 11 pedal without modifications but change the link to the clutch shaft and make a different bendix cover which has a smaller outside diameter so the starter will fit. Any advice would be much appreciated because the last thing I want to have to do is pull the trans cover.Thank you.
Nigel Hugo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:12 am:

Hello Hugo:I've done the necessary modification on several early engines. The simple way is to use the later 19-27 clutch pedal arm and shaft, cut off the pedal head at an appropriate spot and weld on your early lettered pedal so it lines up as it did originally. Indeed you need the clearance for the Bendix cover.We just finished doing the same last week. No big deal to do this modification. Regards, Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:45 am:

You have to bend the little arm inward to allow the clutch link to clear the starter Bendix. Then the early pedals clear the cover easily.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By WilliamThomas Forsythe on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 04:20 pm:

We considered that approach years ago, but you will be changing the radius of the action of the arm with the bend. We prefer to stay with Ford's radius to assure it functions properly. Tom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 06:01 pm:

I considered it briefly, then did it. And it works great on several of my cars. No issues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Low pedal on starter cars have an angle to clear the bendix cover early pedals are straight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:17 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/548148.html?1433849292

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration