Pesky Problem... Solved!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Pesky Problem... Solved!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:08 am:

Typical short, work sometimes, sometimes not. Coils would buzz, hit the starter, start fine:cool:. Next time buzz, hit starter, nothing, buzz stopped. Checking starter with tester, no power, rebuilt starter switch. Sometimes even stepping out of car, buzz would start. Finally just check the ground to frame:confused:. Surprised when grabbed and it just fell out. Clean, over solder and done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:13 am:

Brian, I just got from one of the vendors the copper ground strap like yours. I installed it per the manual but I don't see how it's going to clamp to the battery as it appears too long. Do you have a pic of how yours is mounted?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andre Valkenaers on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:38 am:

Just trow it away and MAKE you an other one with the right size of starter cable.

Andre
Belgium

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:34 am:

Just make sure you use the 6 volt size cable. The smaller 12 volt size will reduce the starter speed and that is not what you want with a six volt battery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:42 am:

Brian,

You actually had an intermittent "open" circuit. In your case a circuit was intermittently not making contact.

A "short" or "short circuit" is when a connection is made from power to ground that is unintended.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:08 am:

Brian's looks to be an original ground strap so a photo of it installed may not help. It should be made of soft copper, just fold it till it lines up. You have to fold it back up out of the way to remove or install the battery anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:19 am:

I had installed a brand new braided cable that was like that . I just assumed it was made rite , actually the + side was also similar.the + cable literally fell out of the end that's how i realized they were not crimped or soldered ...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:44 am:

Lots of the parts we buy today are not the same quality as the original parts but some are much better. I restored a model A last year and the front spring lower mount broke driving down the road the first day. I blasted the original U bolt bracket thats 86 years old and it does great. I thought i was doing the right thing buying all new parts.. Apparently not!!! Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Walker on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:49 am:

I've had a similar problem with the T hot rod. The Bendix gets stuck on the flywheel. It's the positive cable bolt on the starter itself, jimmied just enough to prompt a loose connection sometimes. Must re-tap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:54 am:

Tim, I mounted it to the frame withe the battery bracket bolt. Have been using it with no problems untill the Florida Tour in March.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:57 am:

Royce, obviously your correct! I'm a back, back yard DYIer. I like reading your posts I learn something, hopefully I remember it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:37 am:

Ran into this problem with a repro ground strap driving my 20 to New Hampshire once. After checking the whole electrical system, I finally figured it was intermittent contact with this cable. I found a cable on an old Ford Pick-Up and that fixed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:08 pm:

Brian, This also may be considered SHORT!!!;) Thanks for sharing

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:46 am:

FYI
Sometimes the best way to find this kind of intermittent connection is to touch it. Run your hands and fingers all over the cables and all connections. Often, this sort of intermittent bad connection will get noticeably warmer (or even HOT) under light to moderate load. Try hitting the starter a few times, then feel around.
But do be a little careful! I actually have a small scar on one finger from finding a bad connection in a (relatively speaking) modern car several years ago. (Can you say "branded"?)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration