OT - early Ford Racers video from HCCA evening session

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: OT - early Ford Racers video from HCCA evening session
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:43 am:

I put this video together for the HCCA Tour Thursday evening session. Photos cover Sweepstakes (1901) through the 410 cu. in. "Ford Special," 1910-1912. The info and pics are "Ford, according to Rob." If you choose to watch it, I hope it's enjoyable and interesting for you. If not, it's worth what you paid for it..........(free). :-)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pfjzvpafhpwnxiz/Video%20Apr%2007%2C%204%2050%2039%20PM.mov?dl=0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:55 am:

great film rob, you gonna get off the farm now and move to hollywood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:09 am:

very good video ,lots of great pictures . so much information too ,that first music track is one I find myself singing while working on my T . In fact the movie the song is from is probably one reason I love such old cars . Thank you for sharing such well put together video .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leck - Ohio on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Rob, very nice! Really enjoyed the sound track, too!
Your "OT" historical posts are a bright spot in this forum, keep up the good work.
Hope to see you out on the road someday...

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Hanson on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Great video. Thanks for sharing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

Rob, Wonderful video!!! Thanks very much for making it and posting it for all of us to see.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:47 pm:

Thank's Rob! I don't think i have ever seen the racer called [baby]before? Any luck on maybe seeing the others at the Henry Ford?Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:18 pm:

Very enjoyable and informational video. What upset me was the fact that I saw the post at lunch time today but could not watch the video until I got home from work! I really like the show.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:00 pm:

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

Bud, Frank Kulick and the skeleton or baby racer are remarkable stories. This racer burst on the scene in mid 1904 and was beating Renault, Fiat and Mercedes racers in addition to Buick, Cadillac, Peerless and Franklin. It was made of two Ford two cylinder engines, and was a "transition" racer for Henry Ford between the record breaking 999 (and Arrow) and the six cylinder racer.

A few headlines and pics:

This owner was going to Europe to find the fastest racer possible, partially so he wouldn't be beat by the little Ford again:

This last article mentions some of the famous drivers and big racers Kulick beat with his 20 hp Ford. Kulick's times are posted alongside the world record times by Oldfield.

Henry Ford was demonstrating he could do more with less.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:40 pm:

Rob, when I read your threads and watch these videos I get a strong yearning to go out to the shop and get some old Ford grease and metal and focus in my life. What a wonderful time Frank Kulick must have had for a few years. And think of how great it must have been for Henry Ford to wake up every morning and know he'd be working on these creations. Ever since I was a boy I've heard the name Barney Oldfield. Just the mention of him racing the different machines and feeling that un-nerving twist one feels in his gut when he's living right on the edge of disaster must have been addictive. I've had a few opportunities in my life to feel the rush of adrenalin that comes from tempting fate. The first time out the door on a static line, or that feeling of a blast of air pulling your eyes back at 140 mph on a motorcycle. Or getting lots of air and clearing the top of a quarter pipe by several feet and knowing at some point you've got to come back down. There are few video games that'll provide that kind of rush. And to think Frank Kulick and Henry Ford and Barney Oldfield were experiencing those feelings well over 100 years ago is mind boggling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:58 am:

Great job Rob!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:24 am:

Great film rob. Thank You for posting this up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 12:01 pm:

thank you again guys.

Mike, do you remember this?

"Stand up, hook up, shuffle to the door."

It still sends chills.

Airborne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 12:17 pm:

As I said on the EFR board, this film was very enjoyable to watch. Thank you for sharing it!

One thing I forgot to mention is the awesomeness of Mr. Kulick racing in a tie. Tucked in, of course.

jk

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:06 am:

Jason, my pleasure.

It looks as if everyone on the Ford crew wore ties.

Ormond Beach, 1905, Henry Ford driving the first six cylinder racer:

Second six cylinder racer, August 1905 - Jamuary 1906. (Left to right) Gaston Plaintiff, Ford N.Y. branch manager, unknown man, Henry Ford, unknown, Frank Kulick, and the fellow on the right all have ties and coats:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration