Potential candidate for open valve conversion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Potential candidate for open valve conversion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 11:30 am:

I was going to use this block in a Pietenpol airplane. It was getting a BIG cam which is why the intake port conversion. I have a 5 main conversion "girdle" and crank for it.
Could be a good candidate for a open valve conversion!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Les, Here is the one I made out of a 1919 block. Fools a lot of people.1909 Block

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:02 pm:

Glen
Thank you. If you could email me a high resolution picture PLEASE!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:58 pm:

The bronze lifter bores are interesting!! Not too hard to make either.
I have a couple of '12-13 Canadian engines. One the things is the thinner block pan flange.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

The more I think about this I'm thinking it might be a good home for my small valve 16 valve Roof. I also have a Vancouver gear 3 spd conversion hogshead and a Bosch front plate distributor WITH factory oil pump. Throw it all together and really have people scratching their heads!!
Too many choices!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

I don't believe yours is a reproduction, Glen. ;^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 05:52 pm:

Glen, Is that the one you had at Bakersfield about four years ago? I looked the one at Bakersfield over really closely and it was nicely done!
Like said on the other thread, I do have mixed feelings about such modified blocks. But like Ed A was saying, I don't feel the few of these that are being done would harm the real ones too much. And I do like to see the early cars on tours, not just locked up in collections. If modifying later blocks or reproducing the early blocks is what it is going to take to keep the cars driven? I try to ignore it.
I don't see an '09 T being assembled from about half original parts along with later and reproduction parts to fill it in as being that much different than a Curved Dash Oldsmobile or Stanley Steamer done the same way. I do feel that owners should be a bit open about what their car is or is not.

Les S, I had an originally modified '27 block with intakes like your block in the racing car I sold about eight years ago. Wow! That thing would fly! The only car I ever tried to "spin a donut" with in my life, and it did it (on pavement, not dirt)! I used to pass speedsters with over-head valves going up hills with that thing.
One of the several cars I have had that I really wish I could have kept.

Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:03 pm:

So... No more Piet project?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

Nope. It was great fun building one and learning to fly. After that it became work!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:08 pm:

glen! i would like to see the outher side of that block if you dont mind.thanks charley

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration