What Is Lurking in My Transmission?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What Is Lurking in My Transmission?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:50 pm:

I took the transmission inspection plate off my 13 today and found this mess in the screen. I presume the shims are from a pack. The thicker ones are intact; the bolt hole in them is not torn. I had the ghastly thought that a bolt might have come out of a connecting rod, but the engine has been running fine and not sounding as though it were about to self-grenade. This was confirmed when I pulled the bottom off the pan; all four connecting rods and their caps, bolts, cotter pins and shim packs are intact. The number one and two mains, and the number three to the extent I can peer in there, are intact.

So, my forensic-examiner friends, what should I be looking for?

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

You are missing a very sloppy mechanic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:12 pm:

If you can clearly see #1 and #2 mains have all their bolts in place, is it possible that a bolt could have come out of #3 and isn't where you could see it? I would think there would have to be a bolt out somewhere for the shims to come out intact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

Could be that when it was rebuilt or the rods last adjusted, the mechanic forgot to remove the shim pack which he had left in a handy spot while doing the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

Like Jack, I think a mechanic dropped some extra shims some time in the past. I would not worry about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:24 pm:

Those are not rear main shims. Look like rod shims. Jack is most likely right, someone dropped them and did not get them out. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

You may even find some chewing gum stuck under the edge of the hogshead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 06:00 pm:

Six responses in just over an hour - you guys are QUICK! Many thanks! It seems I panicked for nothing. I will, however, just for fun, send the above picture to the guy who last worked on my engine!

I've been giving Model T lessons to an interested 16-year-old who just got his NJ learner's permit and is interested in Model Ts. He's doing well at driving, so today we did some maintenance. All went well until I pulled that inspection plate - he learned how an old geezer can look as though he's going to have a myocardial infarction!

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ALAN FAIRCLOUGH on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

we are not so quick when we are driving...

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration