What do I have? Accessory Top?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: What do I have? Accessory Top?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:56 pm:

I picked up this set of top bows at sale. The dimensions of the attachment points seem to be just barely off from those of the one-man top on my '23. The ID tag affixed to the inside of one of the irons is pictured below. From a bit of research, I was able to gather that Brewer-Titchener was around during the time of Model T production and I have seen advertisements for products that were made to update cars from two-man into one-man tops.

Has anyone run across something like this in their travels or have any information?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:57 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:10 pm:

You might be able to find the patents from the name tag and see what vehicles they produced the top for and during what periods in time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

I have found some patent information for Brewer-Titchener but it appears as though they made folding tops for several different car manufactures. The part I have been unable to figure is the "Ajax Corp" part. I also considered whether the top was used on an Ajax Touring (1925-1926) but from pictures, they look like they would require a much larger and wider top.

Guess I'll post over on the AACA or Horseless Carriage sites.

If it's not for a T, I'd like to find a good home for them. They're in excellent condition. After a little lubrication, the top opened fully and the wood bows are in excellent condition. It appears as though they were originally varnished. They could easily be recovered and put on a car.

On a side note this is a REAL one man top. It does not require repositioning of the top irons while operating, like a Ford does. This design would have been a real improvement to the one-man top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 10:22 pm:

Dan, that is remarkably similar to the tourer hood bows used by Duncan and Fraser on their 1920-23 tourers. I can see them being aimed at T owners looking to upgrade to a one man top on earlier cars. If you measure them against a T, that may help you find an owner for them.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration