Old Photo - It's Great Stuff.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - It's Great Stuff.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:59 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Everyone says these cars didn't have nice paint.. Looks nice we to me. Thanks for another great picture. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

I am guessing that the Great Stuff is the shiney paint on the car and in the can which that fellow is holding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

I want to buy an original unrestored coupe like this, anyone got one for sale?

just askin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 12:09 am:

Can't fool me... He's a doctor!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:28 am:

If that is a paint can in his left hand, containing the "Great Stuff" his Model T is painted with, his car is the best advertisement. Rarely have I seen such a nice paint job on a Model T in a period photo. Thanks for posting, Jay. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:00 am:

There's plenty of period photos showing the finish of the Model Ts. They were spectacular--During the first year. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:20 am:

Jim, I've seen a number of photos of "fresh cars" from their period from Royce and others. They looked fantastic. For whatever reason, we don't give Henry enough credit for how his cars looked like when they rolled out the door. Problem was, the chemistry of the paint was such that it probably didn't stay that nice much more than a year later, especially since I'm sure most of these cars sat outside 24/7 or at best, in a filthy barn when not used. Plus, they didn't have Wizards polish to keep 'em up either! Just a thought.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:40 am:

yep, they were as good as any black finished car even today.
paint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:21 am:

Yeah, and look at the stripe on that '25 coupe! Also, if anyone with a late T is interested in how they routed the headlight loom, that photo clarifies it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:35 am:

The T's in the photos coming off the assembly line look really nice.
My guess is they would begin to fade and lose the 'shine' in less than 3 years from average use. But most T's were used and not pampered. Not many smooth dustless roads either for the common folks who would buy them.

To say the paint was as good as todays paint is not being realistic. But they were shiny for a while! Now that is true! And the Dr's didn't have time to polish their Coupe's since they were pretty busy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 10:47 am:

Perhaps the top photo is of George Simons who in 1910 developed a cleaner and wax for cars. He later sold the company which became Simonize Company

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

Could be that he's carrying a pale of beer and a cup for the road. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:56 pm:

I wish my coupe looked that nice now! Actually, my coupe looks fine enough to me. More than a few minor nicks, scratches, and chips. A fair amount of quick touch up if you look close. But from twenty feet away, still has some shine on its 40 year old repaint.
A few wonderful photos!
Thanks all.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:33 am:

Wayne. Here's a picture of my '26 coupe taken in 2011. Garage kept and still looks the same. It was painted with Jet Black Imron 36 years ago, in 1980. I sure wish Imron was still available in that formula, but I here it is no longer the same quality paint due to changes in the formula caused by stringent EPA regulations. Pity. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

The car in the first photo is identical to my late Dad's unrestored '23 Canadian coupe. I can't tell what the window lift arrangement is in the photo, but on Dad's car the door windows use the lever and notch arrangement while the rearward windows use the fabric straps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:51 pm:

The great stuff of how the shine was accomplished is the use of rubbing compound, corn starch, and Johnson's floor paste wax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:44 pm:

A pail of pale, stale, ale.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:59 pm:

I did a google search on Simmon and Simoniz. Pretty interesting guy and a good description of the company.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration