Barn find heads and carbs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Barn find heads and carbs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 08:57 pm:

I found these heads and carbs at an estate sale. I kind of have an Idea what some of them are but I'd like more info on them. Are these the OHV that people use as a poor mans Rajo?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 09:35 pm:

I believe the head and top-middle carb are Chevrolet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Friday, April 08, 2016 - 10:42 pm:

1928 2 port Chevrolet heads

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 12:04 am:

There are two heads and one doesn't have the chevy mark on it, it seems different. Thanks for the help, i appreciate it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:15 am:

The head looks like a Willys. What a haul for an estate sale find!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:30 am:

I sure like the liberty Mcbeth lenses!! If you decide to part with them I am interested!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:39 am:

The head with the intake is 1928 Chevrolet (the one that the poor man RAJO would use) the other one looks to have a casting date of 1928 so it would be a 1927 and earlier for in service replacement. If someone is just looking for "cool" it can be used also.
Nether head is overly valuable , maybe in the free to 150 range esp if not check for cracks. While the single exhaust port head does not have the bow tie it does have the clover leaf which is a casting mark on Chevrolet heads.
The Carter if it has a 2 bolt flange mount is Chevrolet. If the brass bowl is not cracked check price on ebay :-). The Stromberg might be Dodge. The rest of the carbs would be car or tractor.
With Jern's passing and no one stepping up to make the adapter plate, the use of the heads might be limited to selling to Chevrolet people or someone that has the adapter and no head for now anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:41 pm:

I have known several people to make their own adapter plates to use Chevrolet (and a few other) heads on T speedsters. Not something that just anybody can do without some amount of equipment. But I have given it some thought over the years, and am fairly sure I could make one if I wanted to. And I do not have a mill or large lathe myself. A drill press and a cutting torch with a full tank of oxygen would do most of the work if you could find a good steel plate of the right size.

The two intake/two exhaust 1928 model Chevrolet head is the more common and popular head for conversion to model T use. Earlier Chevy four cylinder heads come in a variety of styles, most of which also can be used. Some are single intake, some are single exhaust, I think some are both. I have seen several of them used on model Ts with great success.
According to some people I have listened to over the years, an earlier three port Oldsmobile head (also GM and similar but more powerful engine) is the best for conversion to model T. But don't ask me if the three ports were on the intake or exhaust side. Guess I wasn't listening that well. I have seen a few of them at swap meets, they look a lot like the two/two Chevy head, but with three on one side. I have also seen a couple of them being run in T speedsters. Sound good.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:50 pm:

When I was selling a Jern adapter plate I got a lot of responses from folks with CNC Machines who thought making the adapter would be easy....they wanted my plate for a pattern

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Kraft on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:25 pm:

My best friend has a CNC. Has anyone traced Niel's kit? He was a family friend and gave me the radiator and the wheels for my 15 and helped me a lot. I kind of want to put the chevy head on my car because of that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard salazar on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:36 pm:

I like the chevy head and lights and carbs real cool stuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:19 am:

Yes those are good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlesHebert on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:07 am:

28 Chevy heads with rockers. Carter carbs are also Chevy from the same Chevy year. Last 4 cylinder Chevy made was 1928.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration