1912 Commercial Chassis

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1912 Commercial Chassis
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:30 am:

Working on a non Ford 1912 Delivery.
There is a 1912 Commercial Chassis listed in the catalog, thou there is no price.
What color would the wheels and hood be Blue or Black?
Assuming the rest would be black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:05 am:

In 1912 model year the wheels would be blue on any car or chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:53 am:

Would that be the case for a NON Ford chassis?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 06:05 pm:

I was assuming the chassis is 1912 Ford, the body is a non Ford made delivery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 06:53 pm:

Royce, of course.
Just trying to justify blue wheels on a maroon body, not my choice.
I suppose the folks that mounted the body could have painted the wheels, and hood, to match the body.
No hard and fast rules on this one, as there was in the past.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:36 pm:

Jim,

Just as an aftermarket body could be painted any color, a Ford chassis that was purchased to have the aftermarket body mounted to it, could be repainted by the company that purchased it any color they wanted. That would probably cost extra -- i.e. use the color Ford supplied and we won't have to charge for extra paint and labor.

To paint the wheels a color to complement the body would make sense even if the rest of the chassis was left the factory color. On page 19 of James K. Wagner’s “Ford Trucks Since 1905” he shows what appears to be a 1917-1922 steel radiator car chassis fitted with a Columbia Swell Side Panel Body with a dark and light checkerboard paint job on the lower half of the body, a light colored hood, light colored wood spoked accessory 5 lug demountable wheels while a dark colored covered the upper body, fenders, and splash apron.

By the way your profile say 1913 and you are asking about 1912. Two Ts or still sorting out what year you will make it?

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:30 am:

I have a 1913 Touring that I restored in the 1990's. Great car in still great shape that we tour every year.
I just finished a basket case 1909 REO and was looking for a project.
A friend has a 1912 that he has been collecting parts for for many, 60+ years. He can't seem to get to it and my wife says I'm easier to live with when there's a project in the garage, so I offered and he said yes!
I try to do a car as close to original as I can, but this one isn't that clear.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:49 pm:

Jim,

Since you have been around Model Ts and auto restoration for some time, I assume you have the "How to restore something" part down. You commented that you "...try to do a car as close to original as I can, but this one isn't that clear." Several things that may help you towards that goal.

1. A copy of the Model T Ford Club International Sixth Edition 1909-1927 Judging Guidelines. While there is still lots more to learn and document about how the cars were produced during different times different locations, those guidelines offer some of the best currently available information. They are available from the vendors (https://www.modeltford.com/item/JG1.aspx or direct from the MTFCI see: http://modelt.org/featured/product/judging-guidelines/ be sure to scroll down on that page. On my computer I thought the page was empty but when I scrolled about half-way down I saw the items for sale. Also be sure to confirm that you are getting the latest version where they remastered the photos that were originally published in the “Model T Times” under Gail Rodda’s “All the Same, Huh!!” series. They are a great aid in figuring out what is appropriate for which year car’s etc.

2. A copy of Bruce McCalley’s “Model T Ford.” If you can only afford one copy, I would recommend the CD version over the soft cover reprint because the CD is more up to date. Having both a CD and a soft cover (or the original hard cover) makes it easier for me to keep up with items. And there are things that have been discovered since it was last updated – but it is a great source of information, photos, etc. Note the “Vintage Ford” magazines are also a good source of information, but a lot of that same information and photos are located in Bruce’s CD and/or book.

3. A copy of the MTFCI digital or hard copy “Model T Times” magazines. Or at least copies that cover any 1912 cars. The list below are for 1912 and the first three digit number is the magazine volume and the next number is the page in that volume the information starts on.

Since you mentioned maroon body, I would guess that the project already came with a body – is that correct? If not you might want to consider a replica of the 1912 Delivery Car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Dix on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:06 pm:

Folks,
I joined MTFCA and MTFCI in 1974, I've never thrown an issue of either magazine way. AACA long before that. My "Bruce's Book" has his signature, and is an early edition. I only joined HCCA in 1991 so I'm a new guy there.
I haven't posted much here, only the last few months.
Over the years I have restored three Senior AACA cars, 1929 Ford Panel, 1913 Ford Touring, 1918 Ford Couplet Grand National Senior.
The REO took 7 years to restore after two trips to PA to retrieve the parts.
My primary source for T's is the compiled book of parts books.
My feeling is trucks can be most any color within reason, I was only trying to see what people thought of a Maroon vehicle with blue wheels.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Jim,

Thanks for sharing a little more of your background, it helps us better know how to respond to questions.

If you have a program similar to photo shop or know of someone that has a similar program, it can easily change the color on a photo to show you what the dark blue on wheels and hood would look like against a maroon body or any combinations you want to view. That is what a friend of mine did before he paid to have his airplane painted. He looked at several combinations on the computer before he decided on the one he wanted to have his airplane painted.

I don't have that program or I would offer to do that for you. Below is a photo from the cover of the Sep-Oct 1988 "Vintage Ford." (Used by permission to promote our club and hobby.) It shows the Delivery Van that Bruce Gossi and his father, Eugene Bossi owned and built up in 1983. It or a similar photo should be easy to change the colors on in one of the photo shop like programs.

Good luck with your project.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:40 pm:

Jim, there was a fellow who thought a maroon car with blue wheels worked. He had his Ford painted that scheme, according to one of his employees. However his opinions aren't necessarily given much weight sometimes.......

:-)

From the Reminiscence's of Louis C. Scott
Courtesy "The Henry Ford," all rights apply

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration