Old Photo - Early Model T Railcar

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Early Model T Railcar
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 10:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:47 am:

Great Photo Jay....
Though I'm retired ,I deliver Heavyduty Truck parts for a friend one day a week..It includes Uray , Ridgway , Sawpit, Telluride..
All along my route I can see the remains of the R.G.S. Right of way......Before I sold all my parts I had the "Makings" of an inspection rail car........Carl

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 12:33 pm:

Most (if not all) of the RGS's "Galloping Geese" railcars survive, including No.1 being meticulously
recreated from a late 20's Buick. Retired Pierce Arrows from the big hotel in Colorado Springs were
a favored building platform for several others.

The "goose" fleet were created to continue providing mail and passenger service through the RGS's
rather remote area without the expense of steam operations. If memory serves, there were a total of
7 geese built. The RGS was finally abandoned in 1953, with a fair chunk of their rolling stock surviving
long enough for the railfan community to develop to a point to save some of it. A bunch went to Knot's
Berry Farm, Bob Richardson (who later founded the Colorado Railroad Museum) ....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

I would really hate to have that thing now, sitting just like it is, there in the photo. I would be SO torn, wanting to keep it like that, so unique, so historic, so cute (there, I said it).
But based upon the headlamps, and the low radiator neck, that was probably built out of a 1910 T! Open valve block, early clam-shell rear end? And maybe a few other really special things. Even broke I could turn that back into a good '10 T!
Still, a great photo!
Thank you Jay.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration