Repost - By Model T from St. Louis MO to Camp Knox KY - 1929

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Repost - By Model T from St. Louis MO to Camp Knox KY - 1929
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:07 am:

I last posted these pictures in January 2011, but there are new people on the forum since then (and considering the forum's demographics, it's possible that some people who say them five years ago have forgotten them), so I thought I'd post them again....

In 1929, my dad was a student at Washington University in St Louis and was also in Army ROTC. He and some friends had to go to summer camp at Camp Knox KY, so they pooled their funds and bought a 1920 Model T. These are photos from the trip, along with his comments in the album.

My dad and I shared a characteristic. We both went on active duty as second lieutenants at the age of 21, and we both looked like we were about fifteen! I find I don't mind looking younger than I am as much now as I did then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:35 am:

Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 12:13 pm:

Thank you for posting these Dick!! There is no need to wait 5 years again! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:12 pm:

big trucks are u.s.a. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Kuczynski on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:31 pm:

What an awesome time capsule of pictures there. Thank you for sharing them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 02:40 pm:

Thanks, I had not seen them before. Nice that they are family photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 04:11 pm:

Neat pics, I too, don't remember seeing them before. Notice how primitive the barks were back then. When we were kids, most folks lived in very simple houses, including us!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

Fantastic photos and story. Thank you Dick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 06:09 pm:

Those barracks sure look rough compared to WW II construction. I drove my 47 Ford PU from Knoxville to Ft Benning for my camp, carried a gallon jug of cheap oil to replenish with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

The Truck in the photo 2nd from the bottom looks like a WWI Liberty truck.
We worked on at least three of those........ :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/632241.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:42 pm:

Augh, finally got back on line and see that auto correct changed 'barracks" to "bark". Whoof!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 10:55 pm:

Trucks have a single gas light centered on the firewall, kerosene's on the cowl. Great pictures and story.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:37 pm:

Craig liberty & u.s.a.! are the same truck.they had some at the yard in Joplin. that is where i got my f.w.d. truck.made by the michell car co.in 1917. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:09 pm:

Great post! I'm glad you shared it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

So is that a touring-turned-roadster-turned-touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 03:57 am:

Looks like a "poor man's Towncar"!:-) Thanks for reposting these Dick.
Craig, I'd bet if you could see the letters on the radiator on those trucks, they would say "USA". I also believe they were called "Liberty" trucks. There used to be a couple of them not far from here back in the early '60's. They had halftrack conversions on them, never seen any others like that since. Someone saved those two trucks before they got cut up for scrap. That's where I got my first TT in '64. Sadly, several acres of many kinds of cars, trucks, tractors and equipment got sold for scrap in the early '70's.:-( Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration