Will this be ok for my engine?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Will this be ok for my engine?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 04:31 pm:

Basically, was looking for a sae10w30 and saw this, seems ok, but concern was the comment low friction and my mind turned to bands:

motul 10w30 4000 motion

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 04:41 pm:

Were you reading this?:

https://www.motul.com/system/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/7693/400 0%20Motion%2010W30.pdf?1300069799

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:54 am:

Our local farmer in uk suggested the following as SF rated uses in al his machinery old and new, with regular changes

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/182074988814

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 02:23 am:

Any of those will probably be OK and they are better than what was available back in the day. The tractor oil is cheap, thus you can change it more often. Ford recommended every 750 miles, but since there isn't any oil filter you can even change every 500 miles to prevent damage from impurities that floats around in the oil. A transmission screen from the vendors with a magnet will also help protecting the engine :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 02:38 am:

Thanks Roger, I know oil is a minefield of divided opinion, to be fair it's been running on a monograde lawnmower oil for the last few hundred miles.

The farmer recommended the tractor oil as uses in all his machinery from classic 1940s tractors to modern day.

Thought worth looking at the tractor oil as you say bulk is cheap and would last for my season so 4/5 changes.

My only real concern is the bands and how they may react if at all, seems lots of oil posts about slipping bands etc and certainly not an expert here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:42 am:

The bands will probably do just fine with any engine oil if you keep them properly adjusted - that's so the drum is looked with the pedal one to one and a half inch over the floorboards when pushing hard with your foot.

Try drive so the bands slips as little as possible, then they'll last longer. As low rev on the engine as you can when starting without stalling the engine, pull the throttle more open as soon as you have pressed the low pedal to the floor rather firmly and looked the drum. You'll get the hang of it soon. It's unevitable to slip the brake band somewhat, though you can close the throttle in time before a stop to avoid some use of the brake. Some guys use the hand brake (with lined shoes) for some stopping to spare the brake band - relining the shoes might be less work than relining the bands..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 05:39 am:

Fantastic, will give it a go, going to borrow 4 litres from said gent and try first! Bands well adjusted and all works well, just did not want to throw a spanner in the works! Now back to fitting a new interior!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 03:52 pm:

I believe "API-SF" oil has the amount of Zink additives we were used to before catalytic converters forced the reduction. One caveat, Zink additive for Diesel engines is not the same as for gasoline engines. For Diesels "diaryl" type was the chosen one, and for gasoline it was "dialkyl", as in Zink-dialkyl-dithiophosphate. Exactly what the seller claims got one police fleet in trouble with scuffed cams and tappets in their vehicles. The reason was that the municipal garage had bought one type of oil to serve both the DPW diesel engined trucks, as well as the gasoline engined police cars. This to commonize and reduce inventory. Came to find out that the oil had the "diaryl" type zink additive.
Not that I believe our lowly stressed T's will know the fifference.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration