Clutch Fork Wear Is It A Problem?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Clutch Fork Wear Is It A Problem?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 05:44 pm:

I am adjusting the bearings in the engine and discovered the clutch fork seems to have some wear. I have attached a picture. Pretty sloppy in the holes and lots of side to side motion. I can make bushings to tighten it up, but do I really need to?

Clutch Fork

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 06:12 pm:

I'm wondering the same thing. I have my hogshead off and noticed wear on the cast iron fork from it rubbing on the clutch spring.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:20 pm:

I have seen clutch collars worse than that, but not many. I wouldn't run one that bad without some decent repair. Replacing it with a good one would be much better.
I just looked in my Chaffin's Garage catalog, and the part is listed, but my catalog is a few years old now. Call your preferred vendor (or Chaffin's) and check for current availability and price.
From the look in the photo, you may have to tweak the forks a bit to make a replacement (or repair) work properly. It MUST be properly centered over the output shafts etc.
I have often wondered why some of those are so badly worn. Most of them seem to be fine. I suspect they may have been somehow dropped, forced, or otherwise damaged and then run crooked. Another possibility is that if a hogshead was forced on with the clutch collar in the wrong slot, it would tear it up and bend things a bit. It would not work well, and be hard to do, but I have seen stranger things done by bad mechanics. (Like the clutch disc that had been installed backwards in the '65 Ford 3/4 ton PU I had years ago.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:21 am:

Not a huge problem but something that might need the face building up whenever the transmission is rebuilt in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 01:31 am:

From the junkier side of the fence:
The '19 engine that powers my kinda '24 (tossed together) runabout is plum wore out, almost the same as the day I bought it.
That '19 engine's clutch fork is as sloppy as could be. Side to side in the shaft, fork looks like yours (worn), leaks out the ends and has loose rivets (last owner put '15 pedals in a '19 hogshead!).
Run it.
Replace it/fix it when you can or if you fear it'll fail. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:30 am:

Michael,

The side-to-side movement is normal and probably intentional. As to the other wear issues, did it work well while in the car? If it did, and you don't see any impending issues, (like cracks, etc.), I would use it as is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 06:34 pm:

I agree with the others. If it was working fine and the clutch release bolt wasn't too close to sliding off the cam I would use it as is. If you decide to replace the fork lang's has them.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3400U.aspx
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Thomas - Centerville, Iowa on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 09:15 pm:

I ordered one today, if nothing else to compare a good used one, to the one I have. Thanks to all who responded. Wealth of information here. Thanks again! Mike

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration