Brake camshaft emergency brake lever

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Brake camshaft emergency brake lever
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:00 pm:

I am replacing the brake linings on my 27 roadster. When I took everything apart, I notice wear in the bushings and the brake camshafts. Got everything apart and I am in the process of putting the new parts in. The camshaft lever pins that hold the emergency brakes levers to the brake camshaft are a son of a gun to get set and hammered in to place. Has anyone ever used a roll pin here? It sure seems like that easier than trying to get the pins set.
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:15 pm:

I just replaced the rivets in mine yesterday and found them surprisingly easy to set, but I have the axle housings out of the car. The trick is to have the back of the rivet up against something solid. In my case it was the bench vise.

I haven't tried it but a roll pin sounds like a pretty good alternative as long as it fits tightly so it won't vibrate loose and fall out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:19 pm:

I used a big pair of vise grips to squeeze the rivets on mine, no hammering required. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:24 pm:

I usually start the peen on one end befor I put them in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:04 pm:

Just don't get the sides mixed up. If you can find some, the real late '26 brake cams had washers on the ends. That is a real plus.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 02:04 am:

I wouldn't trust a roll pin there.. Would also be suspicious about 26/27 repro brake cams if made from two parts, originals were one piece. Would put some weld on the end between the axle and cam if I had to use repro. See old thread about the cams, hopefully better made nowadays? http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/434538.html?1396708688

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:53 am:

What I found on the originals was one side of the actual cam is flat and the the other side, what I would call the top, has a a radius. Both sides are the same on the new, two piece ones, both being radiused. And the new cams in the original plastic bag, like is sold by the vendors, is marked wrong. Left and right are drilled the same, even though they have to be different, and are marked left and right on the bag.
And the bushings are split. I don't understand that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:06 pm:

I was able to set up a backing plate and used the pins as originally set up. Thanks for the comments on the roll pin. It sure would have been easy but not sure how long it would last. I now know they are correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:12 pm:

My repro cams are the pinned type. I'm going to have them welded tomorrow.

Thanks for the heads up Roger!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration