Model T transmission- how it works

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Model T transmission- how it works
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

See the link bel0w for a neat explanation of the model T transmission. It has an animation that you can actually shift the gears and watch what happens.

http://www.modeltcentral.com/transmission_animation.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 07:50 pm:

It is magic!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

Gotta replace the squirrels now and again

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

I watched it for a while, very hypnotic, BUT!! not like my T,
It doesn't run ANTI-CLOCK WISE.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 10:11 pm:

The animation won't show up on my itablet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 06:46 pm:

Hey Frank,
I think you will find that it does run anti-clockwise, it is a matter of point of view. In the US engine rotation is based on the driver's perspective, when standing in front of the engine to start, you pull up on the right hand side of your car with your left hand, but remember that you are not facing forward at that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen D Heatherly on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 08:14 pm:

The tripple gears turn on the pins when the transmission is in high gear but, with a real T transmission they are lock still in high.

Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 08:22 pm:

Hey Gus,
Although what you say is partly correct, so we don't confuse the hell out of every one world wide, rotation is set by
'Engine-builder'standard'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

I want the interlocks that are on the animation program on the speedster next time we hold a new drivers training....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:28 pm:

Hey Frank,
Actually, it is totally correct from the standpoint of the operator of the vehicle. If the engine rotates upward on the right side of the vehicle and across the top from right to left, then it is revolving counter-clockwise, now if you turn the engine around and mount it behind the driver, in that application, it would rotate counter-clockwise, if you take the engine out of the vehicle then all bets are off. I suspect that this is the result of some people driving on the wrong side of the road, not that I am pointing fingers... (but we drive on the right side, so I think you can see where this is headed), now you throw in the polar star being oriented below the horizon and you just as well be driving a Chevy Corvair with poorly maintained brakes. Oh wait, even bad brakes on a Corvair are better than good brakes on a T, but good brakes are a big contributing factor in reduced gas mileage, that and a gallon that only has 128 ounces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Opps it should be clockwise in the reverse application, but I really doubt that it would have any importance in my argument.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:46 pm:

Yes Gus,
It's a bit like arguing about which is the front of an engine, we stand in front facing the engine for the rotation but by that it's now the back of the engine making the fly wheel end #1. We don't except that as standard practice.
So standards work best all round so all are on the same playing field.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gustaf in Idaho on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 10:46 pm:

Well, the front of an early john Deere engine is where you screw the spark plugs in. The front of an engine should always be what impacts the obstacle first in a front end collision. Standards are always a good thing, that is why all wheels are interchangeable and we only need one cord to charge all our electronic devices...oh and so we all drive on the same side of the road, with out standards, this world would be a chaotic place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 01:22 am:

Not to throw a wrench into the works but interesting to me:
On old single cylinder gas engines (farm engines if you will), the head and carb end are the rear of the engine. It isn't mentioned often in engine builders literature.
That's funny because if a fella displays old gas engines at shows, we show off the valves, carb or the side-shaft not the crankshaft end. We show them off backwards. :-)
IH guys always think our John Deere tractors are backwards. :-) Some vehemently so. :-/
Granted these are all different birds but I got a chuckle out of it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 01:39 am:

Brush Automobile engines run counterclockwise--because it was thought to be safer to crank by right handed folks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 01:55 am:

so.....it you modify a T crank ratchet to go CCW (like the Brush), and modify the cam lift/close perhaps a bit, and flip the differential...

Do you now have a T that operates properly as to gearing, yet rotates backward?

:-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 04:54 am:

You might find the bands don't grip very well if you reverse the engine rotation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 10:20 am:

George,

The fan will blow in the wrong direction and slow the car down. ;o)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:07 am:

Jerry

Thanks for the heads up My T at seems to be underpowered since I removed the fan belt. I'll have to replace it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Mills_Cherry Hill NJ on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:20 am:

Jerry,

I knew there had to be some technical reason that the idea would be insanely wrong...

Thanks for the quick response :-):-):-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:30 am:

So that's why my Corvair is so weird everything goes backwards! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration