Ot model A piston rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Ot model A piston rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 09:24 pm:

Are the bolts that holds the caps on the rods, are they pressed in, or are they molded in the rods? We have tried unscrewing them, sofar no luck getting them out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Pharis on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 10:37 pm:

They are unfortunately machined from the solid blank on Model "A" rods. NOT replaceable, like their predecessor. I'm sure old man Ford saved a buck there too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:14 pm:

The rod bolts aren't machined as part of the rod they are swedged in place. Not removable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 11:30 pm:

They are not swaged, as kevin said, they are an integral part of the rod forging.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:02 am:

Thanks guys! Herman Campbell makes rod caps out of the rod. Good caps are getting harder to find do to filing on the caps in early years. Bolts come out of T rods, you cant make caps out of A rods due to not getting the bolts out. He builds both engines, He is all about keeping the cost down for building for us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Johnson, Medina County TX on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:45 am:

Rick
If you need some A Rods I can send you some just for the shipping. I have several boxes full. I have been using mostly A cranks and rods in the T's I build now. Inserts on the pressurized ones and Babbitt on the splash only ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By rick howerton on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:07 pm:

We only need the caps that hasn't been filed on, if you have some we sure could use some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 08:59 pm:

Thanks for the correction. If your going to be wrong be really wrong and admit you were wrong. I admit I was wrong and learned something new.
Thanks
MarkG

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration