77 RACE CAR

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 77 RACE CAR
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:53 am:

Hey just exited to get the new tires and wheels on the car, may be now insurance?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:55 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:01 am:

NICE!!
I like the bus in the last picture, too!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Andulics on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:03 am:

When you get the chance you need to share some pictures of the front and rear axles drops. Great looking start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:03 am:

Cool :-)
Is anything about the history of #77 known?

What's under the hood?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:34 pm:

one more photo of front drop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:27 pm:

The bus is our motorhome 1954 GMC 4104 Six cylinder Detroit engine It will do 70 mph on flats and has been able to get 11mpg.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

In the above photo, I believe the belt fell off. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:46 pm:

Better get that belt , it's crawling away!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:10 pm:

I don't know what that snake is but it would cause me to mess up my pants and then seek out a hoe or other weapon of mass destruction to chase it down with!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:15 pm:

It is a good snake to have around. It keeps the rattle snakes away, so he was just on his merry way pausing just long enough for a photo :-) Thought some of you would get a kick out of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:39 pm:

That is a really interesting suicide front end conversion, I don't think I have ever seen one like that. It doesn't have the same patina as the rest of the car, did you make that. Cool looking car, looks like a 38 Ford truck grill. Did you take any pictures of your A wheel conversion on the front. It's a neat car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:50 pm:

I built the suicide conversion. I think It is a modified ford grill. It has 26-27 wire wheels w/hubs installed now. John, Do you have a any relation living in Henderson Nevada?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele, Montana on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 09:30 am:

Hi John,
No relation in Nevada that I'm aware of. You must have some artistic talents looking at the lines of your conversion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John L Williams on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 10:53 am:

Hi From Iowa: Very nice car & neat Snake!! It looks very much like our Bull Snakes? If you are lucky enough to have them around you will not be bothered by rodents!! I used to keep them as pets when a kid here on the farm & they were much fun -- everyone except my Mother really enjoyed them around the house (usually in a cadge of course)?!?! John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wallace B on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:14 pm:

Do you have photos how you lowered the rear? Nice guard snake by the way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wallace B on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:19 pm:

Oh, and nice work John!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:29 pm:

John,

Nice work. I bet it's fun to drive.

I'm curious about something. You said, "maybe now insurance." Since the photos show no license plates, is it registered? If it is, since it's obviously not a standard production car, how'd you do it? If not, what's your plan? I would imagine you must register it as a condition of obtaining insurance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 07:23 pm:

For what its worth. The antique auto insurance companies seem to be used to the idea that some collector cars are never really driven, and therefore not registered. Insurance is still needed for fire and other types of loss as well as some car shows are held on private grounds where insurance may be required, but a license is not. I will leave it for others to figure out if any specific show does or does not require current license and registration. Those rules vary from state to state, and even city to city. In my neighborhood, on private roads, current license is NOT required. Even the CHP has said so.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 07:43 pm:

Good point Wayne. I was thinking simply of public road driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 10:43 pm:

Thank you all for your kind words. The insurance company that I have my other model t's with said that it would need to be restored to a higher degree than it was for them to insure it. There is still many things to be done. Wallace, I will get some current photos as soon as I can during the day( gotta to be able to see if the guard snake is around ):-) You better get your TT going in case I need a transport , Thanks jw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 12:30 am:

Hey, I used to own that Riverside Special!!!!! I sold it to Speedy Bill, and it sadly was the last car he purchased before he passed. Dealing with that old horse trader was the most fun I ever had.

It took us several weeks and countless back and forth phone calls before we reached a deal. Now it was a quite a chunk of change and he cried huge crock tears before during and after.

I also had sold my genuine single stick Fronty sprint car to another collector in the mid west at the same time.

I suggested to Speedy that he contact the carrier as they were going with in spittin' distance of Lincoln Neb and maybe he could get on the same ride.

He called me back in a few days and OMG more crock tears. He told me after paying me soo much for the Riverside car he could not afford to pay the freight to get it delivered to Lincoln.

Several more phone calls back and forth, and finally I could take no more of a grown man crying. I offered to split the freight. He paused and asked " would you really do that for me?" I said yes as I knew the car was going to where it would be its final resting place.

As I said above, he was the consummate horse trader and in his mind he "bested" me and he could now relax and enjoy his new purchase.

I enjoyed the time I knew Speedy and his vast knowledge of the early model t racing history. He was quite the man and a real stand up guy.

I full well intend to be at Lincoln for their next hill climb with my 1928 dirt track sprint car which will be freshly restored for that event, in his honor.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 05:55 am:

Speedy sounds like he was a real kick, great story, thanks for sharing. Do you know what ever happened to the race car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jon Crane on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 01:57 pm:

The Riverside Special is in the Speedway Motors Museum (a must see for any T guy) and has not been changed, cleaned or otherwise changed in anyway.
Speedy Bill wrote a book that is a very good read. A lot of insight regarding old racing, business and foreign trade. Met Speedy and spoke to him several times at Hershey and then saw him again at the Speedster Reunion 3 years ago with his son. Real nice people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 09:05 pm:

I want to thank you guys again for sharing some stories of Speedy Bill, I totally understand why he wanted the car with so much passion. I am certain that he is missed. Here is a photo of the rear drop. I moved the rear axle to the rear and move the spring perches to the bottom of model A radius rods.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration