Another freeze plug question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Another freeze plug question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:16 am:

Can we still by freeze plugs locally (if so what size are they) or do we have to order from a Model T parts vendor ?

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Yes of course. Show the guy at the part store a nickel. The freeze plug that you want is exactly the size of a nickel, if the nickel was cupped.

This is why many of us simply use nickels. A freeze plug from the part store usually costs fifty cents.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:57 am:

Auto parts store

Brand name:
Dorman #550-008

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DAG0/550008/N0290.oap?ck=Search_N0290_- 1_-1&pt=N0290&ppt=C0142

.8125 dia plug, soft steel.

IMO, use brass, the soft steel will rust out in 3 years, mine did. I always order the brass ones from Lang's or Snyder's.

Or you can use real Buffalo nickels, they fit and look better :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:06 am:

I second Dan's advice to use brass. I installed steel plugs in my engine and they lasted just over one year before starting to leak. I replaced them with brass and no troubles for over 10 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Real nickels - those made before about 1980 or so - also don't rust. I started installing them with JB Weld, it gives great results compared to any of the sealants.

Here is another thread on the subject:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/631564.html?1460277081

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:05 pm:

Thanks all

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration