ID of can marked Property of Ford Motor Company

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: ID of can marked Property of Ford Motor Company
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen branscum on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:46 am:

Does anyone know what this is? I was told that parts for a model T came in it, but I cannot find anything similar.
Pic 1
Inside

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:53 am:

What are the diameter and depth? That might help figure it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:05 am:

It looks like it held old training film reels, a film container?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:15 pm:

I have one just like it.
I always felt it was from the Ford Studios.
They started to make films in 1914 if I remember right.
There was a story in one of the magazines years ago about the studios.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen branscum on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:20 pm:

It's about 11.5 inches in diameter and albeit 5 inches tall. I wondered about the film canister idea. It's seems a little big
for that , but it could be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:54 pm:

Maybe to store three-reelers! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:30 pm:

I like the film can idea, but the handles and the two hasps argue against it. But I have idea what else it could be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:35 pm:

With the very small hole in the cover i think it was a container for brazing flux?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 05:49 pm:

I don't know but you should return it to FOMOCO before you get in trouble!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:33 pm:

I can provide the address if that's what you decide to do.

(wink wink)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:52 pm:

My grandmother would have used it for a cookie tin, we had many a home made cookie from film tins. My fav was her molasses with lemon cream frosting.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:10 am:

Most definitely a movie film canister.

Here is, for all practical purposes, an identical one currently on eBay. It does not appear to be embossed but note that it has the remnants of a paper Ford label as well as a shipping label.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Film-Canister-/251860357548?_trksid=p2141725.m36 41.l6368

The Dreamland Theater probably never returned it to Ford or perhaps purchased it used and put their own tag on it.

It probably pre-dates the more common hexagon canisters, which can be stored upright.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:16 am:

Maybe it was a Port-O-Potty used by Henry Ford and Harvey Firestone on their camping trips.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:14 am:

Film can, I saw a really nice case with three of these at a local flea market a few years ago, price a little to rich for my taste though I did find a ford motor co. vision tester for three dollars and gave it to an optometrist friend for his collection. KGB

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration