Old Photo - Ferry Stop

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Old Photo - Ferry Stop
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:05 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:39 am:

Notice the rare headlight lens. I believe they used these for a short time in 1921.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:46 am:

At first I wondered why they'd be using a ferry with a bridge right there. Then I realized it's probably a railroad bridge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard salazar on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 12:22 pm:

Way awesome picture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:45 pm:

Well, that car certainty has all the features to be a 1921 model.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 04:58 pm:

The radiator cap is after market. It is hard to see the radiator core but could possibly be cellular. If so that shell could have something other than the ford script on it. The lack of clarity has me wondering. Are those headlight lenses turned slightly or is that how they are supposed to be?
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 05:12 pm:

There is a classic photo where Henry himself stands in front of a '21 Centerdoor sedan, the lens orientation should be correct on that one :-)

Ll

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mahlon hawker on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:50 pm:

Definitely a RR bridge. The center span is balanced on the center pier so the entire center span can pivot 90 degrees to allow for passage of river traffic. Note the operators cabin half way up the span.

Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Tony,
You're correct in saying it pivots 90 degrees to allow passage of river traffic, but that does not necessarily make it a railroad bridge. I specifically know of (and have driven a cross many times) an automobile bridge that works this way on California Highway 12 between Rio Vista, CA and Lodi, CA. It crosses the Mokelumne River.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:18 am:

Actually,there are two of those bridges on Hwy 12, one is from the 1930s, the other from the 1990s and it's hard to figure out what it is when you drive over it. When you go under it (in a boat) you can tell though.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration