Day Two

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Day Two
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:51 pm:

Hello again, I want thank all of you that answered my "Newbie" questions yesterday. Well, it's day two, took her out for a ride today, seems to run good but not easy yo start. A bunch of little adjustments on advance, throttle, and choke but I just haven't found the sweet spot yet. Any advice?
Also, anyone know what this thumb screw on the steering column does? It's backed out about 1 turn and not sure if it should be snugged up.
Any bulletins on adjusting the brakes? Pedal is low to the floor but stops fine, not sure where the pedal should land.
Thanks again for the help.
Thumb Screw

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 01:56 pm:

Keep experimenting, you'll eventually find out what settings your car prefers for starting.

That "thumb screw" is a grease cap for your steering bushing. Unscrew the cap, fill the cap with grease, then screw the cap down, forcing the grease into the steering shaft bushings. Stop when fresh grease starts oozing out of the ends of the bushings.

Check your service manual (if you don't have one, get one!) for lubrication points and frequency for each point.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/227018.html?1312566955

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 02:14 pm:

I generally leave the spark lever all the way up, throttle down about 3-4 notches and only pull the choke out for about 1/2 a second as it does not take a lot to flood the carburetor. The split second the engine fires I pull the spark lever down a bit more. As Mark says above you have to find the sweet spot for your T as they are all in different stages of wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 02:19 pm:

Thanks Mark, Is wheel bearing grease okay?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 02:45 pm:

One more thing...the oil cap popped off on a short drive, it's not a very tight fit. Thoughts? spread the ears a bit? Do model T's have a lot of crankcase pressure?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 03:02 pm:

Sung up that oil cap by twisting the corner edge of one side of that slit in the under collar that fits to the timer cover oil hole. Use a small needle nose pliers, just make a triangle like 'ear' to drag against the timer cover hole.

That will contain the oil cap pretty well, but some even solder a flat link chain to 'em too for a leash!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 03:04 pm:

Wheel bearing grease is what I use in my grease caps, it seems to work fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 03:05 pm:

Yeah, spread the ears a bit. Wheel bearing grease is fine. I always start with the spark lever up all the way or down no more than 3 or 4 notches. Be careful hand cranking with the spark lever in any position but up. Model T's like to kick if that spark is too far advance. A little choke goes a long way. When starting bring your throttle lever down just enough to get it running. Model T's seem to be a little cold blooded when they first fire up on a cold start. I think you'll find, once you hit that sweet spot you won't adjust the spray needle very darn much. Some guys like to turn the mixture lean 1/4 to 1/2 turn when starting, then adjust back to that sweet spot once you're running. Have fun and welcome aboard. Remember this is an affliction that should be respected. These darn things like to multiply. It always seem one leads to two and in my case three. I don't know what it would be like to have fingernails that are t ripped up with grease under them. I've got three pair of blue jeans that are dedicated to grease, oil and ultra black gasket sealer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 03:09 pm:

Dan, I like that idea of turning that corner up just a bit on the oil cap. It's better than over doing the "spreading" the thing and deforming it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 03:17 pm:

Thanks guys, great input here, oil cap is all better now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 05:42 pm:

Adjusting the brake peddle is easy.. Well almost easy.
If you want it to engage higher you will need to take the cover off the transmission to tighten the band.
Be aware that once you have the cover off every nut, bolt, washer, cotter pin, and key in the neighborhood will attempt to jump thru the opening.

If you have normal mechanical skills you can figure out how to do it and I am sure that someone can lead you to a link with pictures on the procedure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Sounds fairly easy, I was more curious as to the correct travel of the pedal, mine stops like an inch off the floor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:42 pm:

Dave, a word of caution re adjusting the brake pedal. If the car stops fine, I would leave it alone. If the car has Kevlar linings, it is best to have them adjusted so they work well, but with the maximum free play in the pedal. If you get them too close, they may bind.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:21 pm:

Dave, Adjusting the brake pedal where it stops 1" above the floor is fine as long as the pedal shaft is the same shape it came out of the factory. On my '19 Touring the original owner had stomped down so hard on the pedal over the years that the shaft/stem was bent out of shape down near the bottom. Some re-bend these cold by use of a huge wrench if you are careful. Luckily I had a new pedal borrowed from a friend to compare the original shape and angle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:25 pm:

Okay thank you, stops fine so I'll leave good enough alone. I just assumed it was a low pedal but this car is all new to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 07:29 pm:

I'm curious to hear opinions on oil leaks...I hear all Model T's drip a bit, not sure how true that is since I'm new to these cars. So what's acceptable? It doesn't poor oil but there are 3 or areas that drip an leave spots. Should I be concerned or just get a bigger drip pan lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:09 pm:

Dave,

I'm glad you have gotten to drive the car.

If it doesn't leak a few drops of oil it is probably empty. And when you check the oil before you start the car the oil should flow out of the lower petcock and not just be one or two drips.

A larger drip pan works -- I think they sell them at Advanced Auto parts etc. I also use the small pie pans to put under the rear axle. But a piece of cardboard can be used and then you can toss it and replace it. I usually put the cardboard under the pan as a backup.

I do NOT park in other peoples driveways. I park on the street and/or on the grass at their house. I don’t park on my driveway either, unless I put something under the car.

And there are some things that can be done to slow down the drips but the stock T does not have seals like the modern cars. You should not be seeing a steady drip – that would be something needing attention. But a couple drips from a couple of locations after you park is part of a normal Model T or even 1928-1931 Model A Ford.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:13 pm:

Dave,

The “Model T Ford Service” book “T-1” is available online at: http://mtfci2002.readyhosting.com/manuals/Model_T_Service_Manual/mtsm.html

It has a lot of good information on servicing the car.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:22 pm:

Dave, In many areas, for example around the pan, loosen the bolts a bit in the drip area, carefully wedge open the area slightly, then squirt a small amount of RTV gasket cement in the crack, then snug back up. If you have drips at the pan bolt holes you can use neoprene washers with the bolts. Some have reported wrapping a few revolutions of cotton string around the bolts at the head helps. The string expands when the nuts are tightened and form "string gaskets" in the wallowed out holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 09:43 pm:

Dave, seems there are lots of similarities between this picture (my 23) and the photo of your car. Note the metal box formers on the outside of the box. U start driving East and I'll start driving West and we'll meet at the Museum in Indiana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

Hal, great looking truck, thought it was mine for a minute! I'll start heading west and will probably make it to Indiana in a month or two at this speed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Calabrese on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:27 am:

Hal, great looking truck, thought it was mine for a minute! I'll start heading west and will probably make it to Indiana in a month or two at this speed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 12:46 am:

Hi Dave, I'd have a bit farther to go so it'll take me a little longer. It would be fun though. My wife is almost on a first name basis with The Laser Spine Institute (in Tampa) so she isn't a good candidate for a trip like that.

Cheers and enjoy your T. I've been a T nut since 1945 and that is when I acquired that Runabout. (I'm the second owner).

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration