1924 touring front seat back support

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: 1924 touring front seat back support
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Keppler on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 05:28 pm:

my 1924 touring front seat back support is rusted off at the bottom edge. Does anyone have any pics of how or if the support gets attached to the seat base, I want to salvage the part, cut off the rust and attach a new section to the bottom but cant find any pictures of how its done

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Dallas TX on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:02 pm:

I don't have a real good set of photos but here is what I do have. The front seat back is riveted to the seat base. Mine had been rusted like yours, and someone previous to me had welded in a repair after cutting out the rusted area.

A little filler over the seam, Some touch up paint, and it looked good as new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Keppler on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:17 pm:

hey thanks for the quick response Royce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Jull in Oakland on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:31 pm:

Douglas - I had to do the same exact thing as you on my 24 Touring that I am putting together. As far as I can determine the seat back tucks under the seat base and the two pieces are riveted together just like Royce stated. The rivets are spaced about 4" on center the whole length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 09:10 am:

I'll take some pictures today and try to post them. My 23 is just about to get the front seat back attached. I might have to e-mail them to you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 09:29 am:

For Michael -- If your posting had been there 20 minutes ago I would not have looked up the photos below. But since I already have it ready to post, I'll go ahead and post it. Hopefully your photos will show some additional details of the rear seat toe panel that the back of the front seat is attached to. I did not find a good photo of that one.

For Douglas,

Here are some photos that Model T Haven allows us to use to promote our hobby and help to better document the cars. The ones below are from a 1922 which was taken apart and the chassis sandblasted & painted. The other parts were put back on it recently. It has the same front seat set up that the new style body introduced in 1921 and continued to 1925 has. Photos are from
http://www.vintagecarsandparts.com/cars-pre/1922-model-t-ford-touring/category/76 and used by permission [Thank you Mark for all your help and support to our hobby!]

They also have two 1924 model year tourings for sale that both appear to have not been taken apart. You may want to save some of those photos for future reference as you work on your car. See:

http://www.vintagecarsandparts.com/cars-pre/1923-model-t-ford/category/80

http://www.vintagecarsandparts.com/cars-pre/1924-model-t-touring/category/85

That last link shows another rusted front seat area. I wonder if we should drill a drain hole or two in the low spots?

Good luck with your T.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 09:29 am:

Hope this helps

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 09:48 am:

Try again.Seat Back

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Douglas Keppler on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:05 am:

im a newbie to the forum, thanks so much everyone, awesome pics!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Sherman Tacoma WA on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:31 am:

Douglas, while you are doing this, do not forget the rear seat kick panel that fastens to the bottom of the front seat back support and the rear of the front seat frame. I did.
Paul in Tacoma

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael J. Wilcox on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:46 am:

Here you can see the toe panel in place. If you buy a new one it's all one piece. You have to drill all the holes for the seat back.Toe Panel

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration