Using a Model T in winter-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Using a Model T in winter-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:41 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 06:43 pm:

Fun in the snow

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Herb,

I remember when my Dad and then later I used to do that when we only ran water in the T and drained it when winter approached. No way Mom would have let Dad heat up antifreeze on the kitchen stove in her pots! The hot water made starting the car a lot easier. And yes we also jacked up the rear wheel.

And back then we didn't use multi-weight oil in the car either. We didn't switch to 10W-30W until the mid-60s or so if I remember correctly. And the car would easily move forward if it was not chocked (ok -- the emergency brake wasn't that good...). For show when the car was a little but not fully warmed up we would NOT chock it. We would NOT jack up the rear wheel. We would crank it with the throttle only open a little ways, and pull up on the crank and jump out of the way. Let it ease by and then run jump on the running board and drive off. You always wanted to point it an open spot so you had plenty of time to run after it and that it would eventually run into the fence or ditch and not someone or someone’s car etc. Once the engine was at normal operating temperature it wouldn’t ease on by you – it just sort of sat there. And if it was really cold – you had to have a lot of throttle open and it could get away from you if you were not careful.

Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:12 pm:

And it looks like it has the equal length windshield hinges. That with the the black radiator would make it an early to mid 1917.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:24 pm:

I think he should remove the radiator cap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher McCulley on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:31 pm:

Speaking of putting water in a radiator, here's a good story.

In front of my home place/farm there is the headwater of a fresh water spring. Year round, the average temperature of the water there is roughly 50*f.
One cold winter day back in the late 80's I see this guy parked along the spring with his hood up. I walked over to him to see if he needed some help and he said he was fine, just filling up his radiator with the water. Witnessing him adding roughly 3 gallons of water, I suggested he may want to add some anti-freeze so it doesn't freeze. He gave me a bewildered look and said " that's why I'm using this water. It never freezes."
Even at 13 years old, I had to scratch my head at that one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:36 pm:

This was probably ten or eleven years ago. It was windy, and 14 degrees (I remember the temp). My youngest and I drove the 13 to Church. Mom and our oldest took a modern car.

Today I drove the Model K to church (no windshield or top). This same little girl, now 16, rode home with me. Her sister and mom took a modern car.

Some things never change.......

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 06:17 am:

Another winter pic.

My Grandfather told me he used to go down to the basement and draw a 5 gallon bucket of hot water from the boiler and go pour that slowly over the motor to loosen it up in winter. I always wondered about that story until I had to get my old truck going when I was in college and too broke to replace a weak battery one winter. After the coldest nights I would go out and use my Grandfather's hot water trick. The old beast rolled right over there and started easily. I wish I remembered all the other old car tricks Grandpa taught me, but I just can recall them all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 08:44 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 09:55 am:

What is all that white stuff on the ground is that a special imported sand?:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 10:08 am:

I was hoping you'd post Bill...

Somewhere hiding in my "pictures" folder is a photo of you in your touring, bundled up in your heavy winter garb, arriving at the snowmobile meet a few winters ago...precious and priceless - it's there, just can't find it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 10:44 am:

Hi Dave,

Ask and ye shall receive:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Dufault on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 01:18 pm:

And that, Folks, is a true, (maybe blue) T MAN !

(Not really blue - he just bundles up well!)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration