Headlights, and bulb refresh .

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Headlights, and bulb refresh .
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 08:37 pm:

I'm trying to get the lights installed and working .I've cleaned the reflectors using the salt, hot water, baking soda and aluminum foil . Ordered bulbs 6v, 32- 50 candle power I think From Langs .from what I've read the gen. Won't keep up with 50 , how about 32 ? I don't plan on doing alot of night driving . Are there better bulb choices that use less power ? I'm not intrested in modification just make them work how they were originally if that's possible .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:18 pm:

I'm using original 1158 bulbs which are 20-3 c.p. and they work just fine. If you run 50 c.p. bulbs, the generator can't keep up. If anyone knows where I can buy a box of ORIGINAL 1158 bulbs, I'd appreciate hearing from you. BTW, I have one original Ford bulb, and it says TungSol made it, and has the Ford script. It doesn't say what the c.p. is, but I think what I mentioned above is correct.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 10:28 pm:

32-32 bulbs are available. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/light-bulbs-5043

Also you may need to change the orientation of the socket so that the filaments are correct for a dim and bright, instead of shifting left to right. See G. R. Chesire's comment http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/629146.html?1459777243

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, April 10, 2016 - 11:21 pm:

I have 50cp headlight bulbs in my car, three rear lights, and with a charge rate from the generator of only 5A, I have no problem driving for several hours at night with the ammeter on 10A discharge. The battery has 100Ah of capacity, so it's going to take quite a while before it goes flat; something like 10 hours - few would drive a T that long at night.
There does seem to be a worry amongst many folk that if the ammeter is not always showing a charge that something bad is happening, or is going to happen. There's a lot of battery capacity which is there to be used.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 03:13 am:

Thanks for shedding some light on this (couldn"t help it :-)) Larry one bulb was an 1158 , or was it 1148... but it was broken . the other one looks like a period correct bulb maybe has script but faint . I don't plan to drive it much at night ,but would like it functional so if my gen is putting out about 5 amps it should be ok for short drives ,but will be discharging ..ok . so now the bulb orientation issue i really dont want to modify it . thanks for posting the link . i'll have to prepare to read it the last time I tried to understand all this I got a headache .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 06:02 am:

Better experiment a little first before worrying about bulb orientation. Some of the newer bulbs have filaments so closely together you really don't get much of a difference switching them from DIM to high anyways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:34 am:

Is anyone offering a 6volt LED headlight bulb replacement yet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 04:25 pm:

Kevin , just gonna get them working , and see how it is. Hopefully it's good enough . ...has anyone just tried moving the adjustment lug ? Instead of drilling another hole after reorientation of filament ? .just curious ...Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 04:34 pm:

" . ...has anyone just tried moving the adjustment lug ? Instead of drilling another hole after reorientation of filament ? .just curious ...Mike"

I've tried that. Doesn't work. Relocating the hole and sleeve is the only way. There isn't enough bulb socket to move the adjusting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 01:14 am:

ok I just recieved my new bulbs . they seem to orient side by side instead of horizontal . i'm just going to try em out ,and hope the output is adequate at least . and hope the discharge rate isn't too bad .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 03:06 am:

I got them working the bulb filaments are side by side 6v is so fussy about connections I kept checking ground then when I wasn't looking the passenger light came on ? ? ? Hey! Then they only worked on bright ... tried switch again now dim works only it looks the same, and amp draw appears the same ? Ok I read somewhere about that .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 03:08 am:

I'll check resistance after I get the fenders on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 03:53 am:

Ronald ,as far as l.e.d. i saw something about that in the UK. someone making them .I think i read about it here mtfca.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By TT on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 02:16 pm:

Ok so probably not quite right for a T but going in the right direction for led headlights 6v

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/281483423520

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 05:13 am:

TT - Those bulbs look suspiciously like brake light LED bulbs which could put out the equivalent of 21 cp but I believe a large portion of that light is directed out from the top of the bulb so it would not use the reflector to scatter the light out in front of the car. There are LEDs on the sides but who knows how many lumens they put out.

The "corn" type bulb isn't very attractive, especially for an antique car but if it works well the extremely low power consumption would be a real benefit.

The seller doesn't send those bulbs outside the UK. If you try them out would you please post a performance report?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:24 am:

Chris Barker has used another type of LED:s from a UK supplier: http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com/led-headlamp-bulbs-shop.php

Here's the thread where they are mentioned: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/606105.html?1453221631

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 12:42 pm:

I'm wondering about what Mark Gregush from Portland said 15-17 sockets in later lights 18 +, turn the bulb for the correct orientation.the LED lights if they work is interesting also . seems like they will need to be designed specifically for that purpose .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Snyder on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 12:57 pm:

just looked at the link Roger , looks like they have led figured out . interesting

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Friday, April 15, 2016 - 01:34 pm:

Roger, thanks for the heads up on the LED bulb supplier. It looks like Classic Dynamo & Regulator supplies LED bulbs which have been thought out and produced to work in older cars. I will probably end up buying a set to do the whole car.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration