Radiator off my 26 Tudor. Photos and questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Radiator off my 26 Tudor. Photos and questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 01:03 pm:

I now have some questions on my radiator off my 26 Tudor. After reading some threads on the forum, I am under the impression that I should replace my Radiator rather than try to salvage it. Would rebuilding it be a waste of time? Should I just purchase a new one? I have looked on the web for new radiators to fit my car and they seem to be pretty proud of their products. Where is the best place to find a quality radiator at a reasonable price to fit my 26 Tudor? Thanks for your help. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 01:24 pm:

Tell us what's wrong with it. Looks OK to me. No serious damage. Just straighten the fins for cosmetics. Leaks can be fixed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier Savannah Tn. on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 02:31 pm:

Rand, much worse looking are still running. First check to see if fins are loose on the tubes if they seem to be good then you can take it to a good radiator shop and have it boiled out. Make sure to tell them NOT to pressure test or they could cause more problems. Good luck, KGB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 02:33 pm:

Flat, and maybe round, tubs can be "rodded" out. If the fins are separated from the tubes a modern core could possibly be installed. Have a good radiator shop check it. I'm gambling on a honeycomb on the speedster that I'm building. Note: A good radiator can be the difference between a fun/bad time when on a tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 02:53 pm:

I agree with the comments made by John and Keith. I'd add to the suggestion list that now is a perfect time to really flush out the block and head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 04:43 pm:

As far as replacing the core, most shops can't seem to do that. Some of ones that can you might as well purchase a new radiator for what will be charged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 04:57 pm:

Some info here may help: http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG96.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 05:25 pm:

Thanks everyone. I didn't expect to get this kind of response due to some of the treads talking about overheating using the original radiator while in parades or on tours. I would certainly like to use it if it can be rodded out, cleaned up and put back into service. I'm going to give it a try anyway. We have some good shops around here that I can take it to.

At this point I don't know if there is anything wrong with it. I'm rebuilding the car. The engine is completely rebuilt and in the frame so it's completely clean inside and out. I will be thrilled to death if I can use this one. I'll post another thread when I get it back from the radiator shop. Thanks again for helping me. Rand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 05:40 pm:

Any rebuilder will tell you that you get no warranty on a engine of any sort if the radiator is not serviced, as for yours, for a start it's not a original Ford one, it has no support bar on the mounts through the core and as radiators get older they get brittle. If you love your T and don't want to waste the money you spent on the engine.
Buy a new one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 05:50 pm:

Well spotted Frank. It looks like a flat tube one to me. May or may not clean out if rodded.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 06:19 pm:

Rand, If you have an original Ford radiator, it may be a two row or a three row core radiator. Most in 26 were three row, but Ford experimented with two row core radiators before finishing out Model T production with three row core radiators. The two row core radiator cars had an extension cast onto the front of the fan pulley hub to move the fan closer to the radiator for better cooling. Three row core cars used the common fan pulley in which the fan was fastened very close to the fan pulley.
Obviously, Ford's experiment with the two row core radiator (probably to save production costs) were deemed a failure. I have had one original two row car that was sold in the San Francisco area and probably manufactured at the San Francisco branch assembly plant.

If you or your radiator shop deems your radiator unrepairable, you have three choices: try to find a cheap usable original (good luck); have your radiator recored (it has been posted on the Forum previously, that a radiator shop in Dallas, TX has recored them for members in that area); or buy a new radiator. Berg's is probably cheaper than Brassworks but I think they only make flat tube radiators. Most people have favorable things to say about Berg's. To finish, the cost of a radiator is like hopping up an engine. The old saying was "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 06:48 pm:

Get one of the local shops to boil it out and flow check it. It's either after market or has been recored. Talk to your radiator shop and see what it costs to recore it and if they think it needs one. Don't sour your experience with a new engine by using a patched up radiator. On the other hand if it is good why fix it.

I have had two recored by Clicks Texas Radiator in Dallas but they have recently gone out of business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 07:05 pm:

If you are going for originality, replace it and it will be money well spent. Additionally the new radiator will have a shiny nickel plated filler. You can buy the new fillers but they are about $80 plus labor. Get a new flat tube radiator and you will not be sorry .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kurt Baltrusch on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 07:07 pm:

If you are going for originality, replace it and it will be money well spent. Additionally the new radiator will have a shiny nickel plated filler. You can buy the new fillers but they are about $80 plus labor. Get a new flat tube radiator and you will not be sorry and your Ford will be happier and run cooler.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 07:32 pm:

Looking at the pictures of your radiator, again it looks to be a Ford two row core radiator. It looks just like the one on my San Francisco car. If it isn't repairable and usable, I'd chunk it and get a new Berg's three row. Don't forget the change the fan pulley if you've got the one with the extended fan mount. it won't work with a three row core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 09:29 pm:

Terry

That radiator that Rand took off his car is aftermarket, its not a Ford radiator.

Seems in rather poor condition to me, fin damage, side panels away from the core, due to lots of rattle and shake over the years. Most times the upper and lower tanks will have accumulated a lot of debris, and many times have pin holes difficult to repair.

A well spent $100 or more at a radiator shop will clean it without rodding, just tank dip and test.

You then will have $100 or more spent on a well used old radiator that has long ago lost its heat to air radiating efficiency. A tired old leaking radiator is lots of grief and can cause serious issues with the engine and dismay and disgust by the owner.

Buy a new Berg's, you won't regret the $850 spent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 02:55 am:

I have one just like that on my '25 coupe. It is an older aftermarket flat tube, got it on ebay for around $200.00 or so a few years ago. I installed it, flushed it a couple of times with CLR, and never looked back. As long as it's got coolant in it, I can't make it overheat, no water pump either. YMMV Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 10:04 am:

"Where is the best place to find a quality radiator at a reasonable price to fit my 26 Tudor?"

I'd suggest Bergs

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 10:11 am:

Rand,

"At this point I don't know if there is anything wrong with it."

Then I would just flush it and install it and see what happens. If it works o.k., then just straighten the fins, paint it and go for a ride. If not, then take it from there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 11:22 am:

I'm going to agree with Dan Treace. I did purchase a Berg's flat tube radiator and you can't make my '27 overheat. I did take the opportunity when Berg's was making my radiator to pull the head and completely inspect the cooling system (surprisingly, in excellent shape). All new clamps and hoses, and no cooling worries. Hooray!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 10:34 pm:

I have a new Bergs and it's great in the 27 but a original in my 26 and I wouldn't trust it very far. I will have to buy another new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rand Ward Payson, Ut. on Monday, April 18, 2016 - 12:22 am:

I'll take a look at Bergs. Thanks for your help. Rand

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration