T shudders when shifting into high gear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: T shudders when shifting into high gear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 06:40 pm:

After a couple of weeks of poor health I finally got the timing gear back on the utility truck and went for a nice drive between rain squalls. The car starts right up and runs fine in reverse and low but when I release the pedal for high gear I get a pronounced shudder and metallic slap. Hopefully someone can suggest what the problem is and hopefully it's only an adjustment. I reduce the throttle and hold the pedal for a few second2 but I can't seem to find the right spot to stop the problem. As always any and all help will be followed and appreciated Harv.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 08:16 pm:

Harvey: ..... when shifting from low to direct drive, retard the spark about half-way so the engine will easily address the shift.

It does work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 08:06 am:

Could be a worn brake drum or clutch (disk) drum. The clutch disks will hang up on the worn groves caused by the disks.

(Message edited by ccwken on April 12, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Cash - Winnemucca Nevada on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:35 am:

Thanks Bob and Ken, I have not been into this transmission since I have owned the car and I'm sure it need a rebuild. I hope it lasts through this car show season and I'll deal with the mechanics next winter. Great diagram Ken, thank you. Harv. friend

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:41 am:

Harvey,

Look for excessive fore & aft play in the torque tube ball joint, where it joins up with the transmission. This is a notorious area for this kind of trouble. It's usually caused by wear in the ball joint retaining ring and sometimes caused by putting a gasket between the retaining ring and the transmission housing, (where a gasket does not belong).

You should also look for excessive wear & play in your u-joint itself and in the rear axle. Have you rebuilt the rear and?

It could also be that you need an adjustment to your high speed clutch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mays on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 10:24 am:

Had a similar problem a couple of years ago with a '15. When I put the park brake handle forward I got a shutter. Checked the slot in which the handle comes through the floor and I found that the handle hit the forward part of the slot and wasn't going all the way down. Took out the floor, enlarged the slot so the handle would go all the way down and the problem was solved. At least that was my experience. Hope this helps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration