Has Anyone Had Any Business With Steve Riley?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Has Anyone Had Any Business With Steve Riley?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Woolf on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 07:52 pm:

I have been looking for a set of top sockets and bows for my 1911 T. I received an email from someone named Steve Riley, and he said he had a set in good condition. He appeared to have a legitimate address in North Carolina, so I sent him the money he requested. That was a week ago and I have not heard from him since. My efforts to contact him have resulted in no response from him.

Has anyone ever heard of this guy, or had any experience with him?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 07:55 pm:

No, never. I hope you're going to be okay and come out of this to the good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 08:08 pm:

Was it in response to this ad?

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/3487/627192.html?1459003399

When you received the private message from him, did you click on his user profile to see if he had posted to the forum in the past?

I tried searching for a "Steve Riley" profile but have found none.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 08:09 pm:

Jim,

If you are considering doing business with a potential contact directly/indirectly off this forum ...

I would only reply to a PM or email from a registered member.

Before I replied I would visit their profile to see how long they have been a member.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 08:25 pm:

Cancel the check, report it stolen. If you sent cash, it is a probably a loss. Did he send you pics before you sent the funds.? When I am suspicious, I ask for a "proof of life" thumbs up gesture in front of the part by the owner in a fresh pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 10:35 pm:

Seems like the webmaster or club exec could come up with an Important Caution line or statement on the header bar of the Classifieds Page.

With internet scammers, the wanted ads are prime pickings, if the seller says he has the wanted parts, you can't just take text reply as gospel. Payment in advance is money that can be lost, the larger monetary deal, the more care to take. If you don't know the seller, and the seller can't give you a personal reference that you must check out, then its risky to make any transaction.

Hemmings Website for classified ad placement, tips on buying from advertisers in Hemmings Motor News has this content in FAQ's.

Someone Answering Your Ad? Ask specific questions about the part that require more than a "Yes or No" answer. Don't bother dealing with someone who cannot provide you photos of the parts or car you are looking for or who refuses to show you or your representative the item(s) prior to payment. Be wary of a seller requesting immediate payment or payment to a third party/location. Remember, If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 10:51 pm:

Jim,
This "Steve Riley" has been listed on this internet scammer blacklist. Is it the same address or email?

I hope you are able to stop the check........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John T. Tannehill III, Hot Coffee, MS on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:16 pm:

If you sent a check there will be a transit number and routing number of the bank where it was cashed / deposited on the canceled check, It may be a start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:24 pm:

I personally know and am friends with a Steve Riley BUT he lives in British Columbia - known him for over 20 years ! Boy - oh - Boy !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 12:56 am:

I have personally met not one, not two, actually FIVE different people named Tom (or Thomas) Elliot. A couple of them I think had two "t"s on the end. Two of them involved with antique cars, including model Ts. Two of them were in Cable television. One a high level executive in what was one of the largest Cable Television companies in the world at that time. The other a top level engineer in Califunny. Sadly, he was killed later in the day after I saw him at a cable engineering seminar, a really good guy even though he had no antique cars (he was on his way home when killed by a drunk driver).
The fifth one was also into antique automobiles, but I barely ever met him.
Just my way of pointing out that many names have multiple people out there using them legitimately.
Jim Woolf, I am hoping the best for you?!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 01:40 am:

Facebook has 26 guys named Wayne Sheldon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 06:50 am:

Steve, I have never looked there, nor googled my name. However, I may be able to top that, not in numbers, but specifics.
You see, I was named after my father, Wayne Francis Sheldon. My mother did not like the "junior" application. The next most common suffix used is 2nd. But, someone in the family did not like that. So, I got the Roman numeral II. Now, Roman numerals are commonly used for IIIs and IVs, in fact I have several cousins with IIIs and IVs. But II is usually not used in general in favor of Jr or 2nd.
About thirty years ago, I got slightly entangled in some sort of insurance mess. Seems there was another Wayne Francis Sheldon II back on the East coast. Apparently there was some sort of settlement had been contested, money involved, I actually had to sign some papers stating that I had never been in, on, at, or visited, any Eastern states (true as of that date). I got the impression that they wanted to give me money, but I was too honest and refused it (if I had tried to take it they would have investigated enough and found me out anyway?). This was before the internet, and they wouldn't give me too many details. So I don't know anything more about it. Just that there are, or were, at least two legally named Wayne Francis Sheldon IIs.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 03:45 pm:

This is a bit of a thread drift, but I live in Oroville, with my wife Linda; 20 some miles away, in Chico is another David & Linda Dewey! So far we've only had phone calls crossed. Been here since 1980 and still haven't met our "doppelgangers" My Middle name is John, and there are two other piano tuners around named John Dewey, one about 80 miles away, the other one "back east." --and that one, like me, also works on player pianos. Too many co-incidences. BTW, somehow we are all related, as Thomas Dewey came to the States in 1633, and most USA Deweys trace their ancestry back to him.
Wayne, a few years back my Nephew-in-law had trouble going to Canada as they were looking for a drug dealer from Texas with the same name as his; and I don't think you'll find many guys named Alejandro.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 04:05 pm:

So far, I have only ever met one Buck Futz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marshall V. Daut on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:07 pm:

If any of you happen to meet another poor slob, who's stuck with a name like mine (Marshall V. Daut), pass along my sympathies to him. But, I DAUT whether you will ever meet a second one with the same name as mine!
Marshall V. Daut

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration