Alternator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Alternator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 08:48 pm:

My car came with an alternator and I have to replace it. I currently have a gear drive and am considering the external belt driven type. What are your experiences with each ?
Thanks, Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, April 11, 2016 - 11:51 pm:

I have a gear drive unit and like it. It uses the location and drive of the stock generator. Simple set up. PK

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 12:00 am:

Same here, like my alternator. gear driven no issues. Why does it need to be replaced ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 08:15 am:

The pin on the shaft broke and the gear just spins on the shaft. This resulted in the gear being very loose on the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 08:39 am:

Does the gear show excessive tooth wear? How many gaskets are between the engine block and generator (alternator) bracket? The failure may have been caused by improper installation. Or a failure of the front bearing.

I'd just check/repair the shaft/bearing and put a new gear on it if the alternator was working. However; I have access to a welder and machine tools/equipment. :-)

(Message edited by ccwken on April 12, 2016)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 03:00 pm:

Failure may have been due to the use of a roll pin instead of a solid dowel pin, peened at each end. Sounds like the alternator used only a pin to secure the gear, instead of a pin & a woodruff key, (as original). If that's true, this is even a worse application for a roll pin. Roll pins break and fall out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 12:18 am:

I've used both. I like my original alternator but when it broke beyond repair, the replacement alternators were too large (My T is RHD). So I opted for the belt drive system that places the alternator on the left side of the engine. No problems with that setup!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 12:43 am:

The old silver Hitachi alternators had a gear just pushed on the end of the shaft and then held with a roll pin. The more recent Delco devices have a screwed thread on the shaft and a corresponding thread inside the gear. So far I have not seen any Delco failures and many Hitachi failures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Rinaldo on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 07:43 am:

Thanks, I still haven't decided. Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 - 11:52 am:

If the fit is close with a new gear then you could use a solid pin and Loctite. If the shaft is chewed up then you best get a new part.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:31 am:

If the shaft is chewed up it could be turned down and sleeved back to standard, then press a new gear on and pin it solidly. Could also assemble it w/locktite bearing retaining goop.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration