Steering wheel nut - Nickel or not?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2016: Steering wheel nut - Nickel or not?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 10:45 am:

The Model T judging Guide (6th edition) states "Steering Wheel Nut: Made from steel. Nickel plated or painted black:"

Mine shows no traces of nickel plating but it does have a letter "C" stamped on the top of the domed section.

Has anyone seen an original nickel plated steering wheel nut?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 12:32 pm:

I've never seen a plated one that I thought was original. They really aren't steel either. They're cast iron and if you tighten them just a bit too much, crunch, no more threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 12:40 pm:

Very poor cast iron. I have never seen evidence of Nickel. Maybe some after market ones were available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 03:21 pm:

The original nut on my car did just that... crunch! Now it wears a replacement from a donor car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 08:38 pm:

I have seen a number of originals with what appeared to be original black paint. Like Jerry VO, I have never seen one that appeared to be original nickel.
Just my (this time) unscientific view point.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 - 09:38 pm:

I have a NOS nut on my '25. They were raven finish. Next question, have you found your nickel plated dash light yet. I've never seen a Ford one in nickel, but have seen others that are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 12:07 am:

He's another Canadian difference. The steering wheel nut with the two flats to take the horn button was usually nickel plated.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 09:18 am:

Larry

The dash lamp on the Improved Car, '26-'27 was nickel plated. The factory adv states 'finished to match other instruments' means nickel. :-)

The '24-'25 accessory dash lamp was raven or black finish as you posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Sole - Castelldefels (Spain) on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 11:09 am:

Larry, I haven't been spent much time looking for the dash light. I'll probably leave that for later on. Right now I'm trying to get the machine shop to finish my crankshaft and give me my engine back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 14, 2016 - 06:33 pm:

Dan T, Interesting photo cropping of the picture showing a '26/'27 dash?! Great photo however.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration